Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #1

Question Out of level towing question?

Hello all, Hope I don't confuse you too much!

Just bought a '07 Rockwood 8280SS 5th wheel. Towing with a 2011 Silverado 2500. The new Silverado's sit higher than my '05 Silverado did.

The trailer sits about 6" higher in the front when hooked up. We towed it 400 miles to bring it home, and it towed fine. Could hardly tell it was back there. No chucking (I had to look up that term since I'm not very well versed in RV lingo).

Common sense tells me that not being level is putting more pressure on the rear tires. Is this true? I'm just concerned with tire problems, not how it looks while being towed.

I have one hole left to adjust the fifth wheel hitch up in its frame, but this would require notching the fiberglass about 1" since it is close to touching now. Is that a bad idea?

I'm hoping not to have to raise the trailer and definitly would rather not lower the truck.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Smilin joe
smilin joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

How much clearance do you have between the camper and the truck's bed rails? If you don't want to raise the camper or lower the truck there's isn't anything else to do!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #3

It's true. Level the trailer so the load is distributed to both axles. Blowouts are mostly caused by overloading and neglect (includes tire pressure, speeding, ageing, etc.).

If possible.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply's,

I have 9 1/2" between camper and truck, so I can gain some there. Looks like I'm going to have to raise the camper to make up the rest.

Thanks alot guys, you've been a great help.

Smilin joe
smilin joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #5

Like Dave & Monica said look at the clearance form your rig & the truck bed rail. My tv is a F-350 w/4" lift . they just got 6" clearance on set up. You have to keep on the back with the bump & dips.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin joe View Post
I have 9 1/2" between camper and truck, so I can gain some there.
Bed rail clearance of 6 to 7 inches is pretty normal. Try to drop your hitch head mounting down a couple of holes and see where you are. You could also adjust the pinbox to lower the front of the camper to achieve the 6 - 7 inch clearance if the lowering of the hitch head isn't enough.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote