Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #1

Outside Kitdhen Door opened WHILE DRIVING...damaged other vehicles!!!

Hi,

New owner of a Salem 30QBSS. Went out this last weekend (only second trip with the trailer) and while driving on the freeway I had a Tow Truck pull up beside me, honking for me to pull over. I pulled over and as I got to the passenger side I noticed the outdoor kitchen door was wide open. I thought the tow truck driver was being nice and just letting me know until he told me that the door clipped his side mirror at some point when i drove past him. Then, a motorhome pulled up behind me because i clipped his side mirror too!!! Gave both parties all of my information so I am on the hook for new mirrors for those guys.

I checked the kitchen door and of course there is some damage to the metal frame. Also verified that the handles were locked (which they were). So the latches on the door are obviously messed up. I shut and locked it again and was able to pull it open without too much force. I figured it might happen again so i pulled off the shocks so this time if it opened it would just hang instead of extend out and cause more damage.

I am assuming the faulty latches will be covered under warranty. My question is do you think they will cover the damage to the door caused by the obvious issue caused by bad latches or poor craftsmanship (improper alignment or placement of the latches).
DC_Roog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
Always Learning

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry to hear this. I had my outdoor kitchen pop open once. It sucks. I got lucky and only lost a few things but didn't cause damage to anyone else. It was nearly impossible to see from the driver and passenger seats.

I have no idea on who will cover what from a damage perspective. It doesn't hurt to ask FR. But my guess is you'll have to submit it to your insurance and let them fight it out with FR.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #3

the factory won't pay for "incidental and consequential" damages. It's a standard warranty disclaimer. If you can prove the door came open on it's own (that you closed and locked it properly before leaving) they SHOULD fix the latches, they may not even fix the door and frame damage. And that is a VERY expensive door. The front access door under the overhang was over $800.00 for JUST the door, no labor and it's not as large as an outdoor kitchen.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #4

Just turn it all into your insurance company since it involved other vehicles. If they think they can get any money out of FR, then they will pursue that. No need for you to be involved.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #5

Outdoor Kitchen door open

I had this happen to me with my Forester. Lucky I didn't hit anyone on the busy road. It was my fault that I only turned the door clips locks the normal 90 degrees and I didn't check that it was locked with a key. Those door lock clips can vibrate open from road travel but not with a key lock.

I'll bet damage on your rig will be an insurance claim and not FR's responsibility.
Bob2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Just turn it all into your insurance company since it involved other vehicles. If they think they can get any money out of FR, then they will pursue that. No need for you to be involved.
X2

Let your insurance carrier work it out. They are the pros.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

X whatever on letting your insurance company handle it. Sorry for your issues.

Were you not able to see the open door in your mirrors?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #8

Sorry for your damage and headaches.
Just following this thread to hear the results of an insurance claim or Forest River response.

Good Luck!
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
X whatever on letting your insurance company handle it. Sorry for your issues.

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
What he said^^^

It is one of the reasons you buy insurance.............Just In Case
Old 12-07-2019, 04:46 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
When it happened to me, you really couldn’t. I check all of my mirrors regularly and didn’t see it until my wife saw it first because we were looking for sketching wrong.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #12

door

I have had my trailer door open also, it happens a lot I beleve. When I travel now I always fold my handle( the one you use to pull yourself up) I fold onto the door, instead of back on to the wall. That will be enough to stop the door from opening all the way.
mustardjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:44 PM   #13

It sucks but be lucky that it couldve been worse.It could have rip the door off and did more damage
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:58 PM   #14

Had our fifth wheel almost two years.

Adjusted three doors.

Damaged two kitchen cabinets.

It’s a rough road out there.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:33 PM   #15

All my doors have popped open at one time or another locked or unlocked. I put longer latches on most of them and put a piece of Gorilla tape on the edge opposite the hinge. Seems to work well.
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:52 PM   #16

Unhappy

I swear I am not trying to sound like a jerk, here but...
I feel like when towing, you should have properly adjusted mirrors. This means that you should be able to see all the way down the side of your trailer. Typically, the factory mirrors on a TV don't give the proper angle to see all the way down the side of a trailer which means you need to get additional tow mirrors. If you are in traffic when you are passing or being passed, you should be watching the trailer to ensure that you are clearing other traffic. If you had something hanging off of the side of your trailer that hit (at least) two other vehicles, who knows what else you hit? I would count your blessings that you didn't cause a crash, injury, or worse. In the mean time, I think you need to adjust your setup so that you can see what is going on with your trailer.

Sorry for the unpopular opinion.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:24 AM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
I swear I am not trying to sound like a jerk, here but...
I feel like when towing, you should have properly adjusted mirrors. This means that you should be able to see all the way down the side of your trailer. Typically, the factory mirrors on a TV don't give the proper angle to see all the way down the side of a trailer which means you need to get additional tow mirrors. If you are in traffic when you are passing or being passed, you should be watching the trailer to ensure that you are clearing other traffic. If you had something hanging off of the side of your trailer that hit (at least) two other vehicles, who knows what else you hit? I would count your blessings that you didn't cause a crash, injury, or worse. In the mean time, I think you need to adjust your setup so that you can see what is going on with your trailer.

Sorry for the unpopular opinion.
It's not unpopular, but it's not 100% accurate. I can see straight down the side of my camper. But, for me, on a 40' rig- that's almost 50' away from the driver's seat and in a mirror no less.

I know it's hard to believe that such a big door can be hard to see when it's open, but you literally only have the side edge (1-2", maybe) that you can see.

It's harder to see than you can possibly imagine.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:45 AM   #18

Sorry to hear your new rig gave you grief

Yikes. That's worse than our solar panel being factory mounted through the approximately 3/16" roof panels without going into anything structural at all.
I was lucky it only damaged the awning before it ripped completely loose and departed ship.
All I really know about where it departed is that it was somewhere on Ca 41, but it easily could have damaged someones ride.
It's been about 3 months, so it probably just landed on the shoulder.
My experience is that FR makes good on stuff like this. I don't have mine fixed yet, but the dealer said the claim was approved, and they are waiting for the awning fabric.
I'm curious how your dealer and FR handle this. i hope you don't have to take much of a hit on your insurance.
n1acguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:15 AM   #19

Another quality product from forest river!!!!!!
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #20

As for taking a hit on your insurance rates; if they increase your rates on the next renewal, change companies! We have done that several times over the years with house and vehicle policies. Have always been able to find another company willing to give us the same coverage for much less, even with our recent claims.
If they get greedy, dump them! I have no loyalty to any insurance company, especially when they want to pick my pocket after one claim.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door