Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #1

Outside Speaker Install

Wanting to install outside speakers on my 831BHSS. I ned some advice on running the wires. What is the best route? I want to install under the awning like the factory installs.
kphammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #2

I'm looking to do the same. Hopefully someone will reply with some information.
frechetn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #3

I would also love to know how to do this. This is one option they did not have when I bought my 831bhss in November of 06 and it's a 2007 model. Any one with info/diagrams would be GREAT. Thanks
kennithbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

Man, carving up the skin of my trailer scares the crap out of me!!

I would install a set of jacks/plugs, then I could set a pair of good all weather (or not, really) speakers anywhere I wanted fo best listening enjoyment. Better choise of speakers, placement, and all that. Might use a standard outlet cover box to weather proof it a bit.

If you were really determined to spend money, perhaps a good set of wireless speakers?

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We still take an old AM/FM/CD Player and plug it in outside. Volume control close at hand and can play it so as not to disturb the neighbors unless they yell Crank It Up.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Just curious as to how much wall thickness is required to mount external speakers in the wall. In units that have them mounted from the factory, is there cabinet space "inboard" of the speaker location?

My Concertcrap has the A B C selector switch, so the speakers wouldn't always be in use. I'd only use them when camping @ the races. I don't have the radio on much when "park" camping.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
We still take an old AM/FM/CD Player and plug it in outside. Volume control close at hand and can play it so as not to disturb the neighbors unless they yell Crank It Up.

Our friends had an awesome little docking station for their iPOD that had real nice sound and was certainly loud enough for the camp site without being obnoxious. Me personally, I'm done with CDs if I can't put it on an SD card I won't do it. Only have SD in my Jeep, no CD player, no iPOD stuff.

I really liked the dock and so much easier than installing a stereo and speakers, only problem with it, you had to have an iPOD, After a dismal experience with getting an iPOD fixed under warranty that I won, I won't buy an Apple product ever so it would have to be something else for me.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #8

outdoor speekers

hi just get some made for aboat that are surfus mont and add them to the wall and sill them with a good rv caulking. drill a small hole thru the wall in the area of your cabins and run your wires thru them to your a b c swich on the back of your raido . this will work on the rv with the raido and kinthine all in one on the same wall as the awaning.
hope this helps
bobby
2003chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Our friends had an awesome little docking station for their iPOD that had real nice sound and was certainly loud enough for the camp site without being obnoxious. Me personally, I'm done with CDs if I can't put it on an SD card I won't do it. Only have SD in my Jeep, no CD player, no iPOD stuff.

I really liked the dock and so much easier than installing a stereo and speakers, only problem with it, you had to have an iPOD, After a dismal experience with getting an iPOD fixed under warranty that I won, I won't buy an Apple product ever so it would have to be something else for me.
This is exactly what I do. Got a Sony docking station and use my iPod. Sounds great and has a remote to control volume and skip or replay songs.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #10

Rockwood sells the outside speaker. They are surface mount, so you'll only have to drill a very small hole to run the wiring. See photo below.

Call Cindy, at 574-642-2640 , in the Rockwood/Flagstaff parts dept. She's very helpful; and busy also. You may have to leave a message. She WILL return your call. She'll need you VIN number, so have it ready when calling.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cool My speaker project

Well I got about halfway thru my external speaker project. I had a spare 4 flat wire harness kicking around, so I'm using that to connect the speakers to the stereo. The short portion of the harness is soldered to the C room LH & RH speaker wires. The long portion will go outside & the speakers will be plugged into it.

Two observations:

From the factory the TT has 2 speakers over the dinette. When I had the stereo out to solder the connections, I noticed that the forward speaker was wired to the A room RH yellow wires & the rearward speaker was wired to the B room RH blue wires. Is this normal or not? Would it be worth the time & effort to correct the wiring? Forward to A room LH & rearward to A room RH?

Also, I loosely connected my speakers & the sound is much better than I expected. Now I'm thinking, do I upgrade the OEM speakers now? Heck, having the speakers properly wired LH & RH should improve the sound.

Any suggestions for aftermarket speakers to replace the OEM speakers if I decide to?

Tomorrow, I'll finish off the speaker boxes. I had started making them years ago, but never finished them. I have to see a guy on Tues' that may have the correct GM female speaker harness connectors for a better & neater connection.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #12

Magnadyne RV Speakers

RV/Camper Speakers & Accessories - JCWhitney

JENSEN Speakers

I like this little unit .

RV Interior Speaker Replacement | ModMyRV
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I got the project pretty much done this evening. Just need to get mat'l to cover the speaker faces & hopefully proper connectors to finish.

I corrected the interior speaker wiring & I think there's an improvement. I put Genesis's live Seconds Out on the CD player & the sections where Phil Collins & Chester Thompson are drumming definately are stronger. Beforehand I would've just heard the RH "portion" of the music.

It's too bad, the speakers weren't mounted further apart (there is/was room underneath the overhead cabinet to permit this.

I may put off upgrading the speakers for a later date.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Don't forget to use Rubber Grommets to protect the wires where they go through the siding.
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not making the wiring a permanet part. Just out the door when in use @ the races. Definately not needed when "park" camping.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #16
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Gotcha...
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote