Old 12-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Overhead storage cabinet help

The overhead storage cabinet unit above my sink and stove is pulling out of the wall and celing. I want to add additional screws to secure it but am afraid of poking through the exterior wall or roof. Is their a special screw and length that the manufac uses? In looking at the cabinet there appears to be wood pieces that are nailed to the cabinet frame and then screwed to the wall and celing. The nails are loose as well. Has anyone had any experience reinforcing their cabinet units? I'm sure it is very simple but I dont want to void the warranty or damage anything.

2011 Rockwood Roo 19
Aqualight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Head Rambler
I don't know if the Roo uses 1˝" framing but if it does the only concern is to use screws that protrude less than that into the wall. It would also be good if you could locate the frame members and screw into that. That might be harder than you think as they are very far apart. You might consider using "Zip-It" drywall anchors to give the screws more bite.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
why not remove a factory screw and measure
liven life in east TN and wherever my
2011georgetown280ve, and
2016 fordexplorer and hemi RAM
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
RV Newbie
My guess is that the location(s) where the screw(s) are loose is very close to the rib. They may have missed a couple. you might take a small drill bit and explore either side of the loose screw. It is possible that the screw(s) found a knot or void and moving an inch or so will find better wood.

Looking at my cabinets, at the bottom of the cabinet at the wall there is an upper and lower panel sandwiching a ledger strip. You might have to remover one of the panels to reattach that ledger to the wall.
2005 FR Lexington 210 6.0L 8500 miles
2007 2500 Silverado Ext. Cab, 6.5' bed 5.7L
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote