Old 10-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #11

Just as an FYI for everyone, be very careful with bug spray around the paint as well. The grand kids where getting sprayed and the deep woods off removed the paint to bare aluminum on our last trailer. Blistered and wrinkled and wiped right off the siding.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 10-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #12

Bug spray can also destroy plastic as I found out when my grandkids sprayed their legs in front of the TV cabinet in my Wildcat several years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 10-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #13

One more thing I uncovered: While the factory paint is Dupont Chromabase Polar White, which is a more complicated two stage paint process with a base coat followed by a clear coat, something best done in a factory setting, you can also use Dupont ChromaOne paint, which is a single coat process, easy to do and blends in well with existing colors. Does not easily run and can be reworked if needed (if you were to get a run or have a spot that does not look right).

It's more expensive and apparently fairly toxic, so its best done by a pro and not by us DIYers. But if one does it oneself, using a real respirator mask is essential.

Here is the data sheet:

http://blueridgepaint.com/pdfs/Autom...12_COAcryl.pdf
Old 11-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
The problem you are going to have is that even with the right paint color, because of age, your current color won't match a new paint mix.

I second the idea of taking a paint chip to a paint store. Lowes or Home Depot paint department have them. It's a free service, and they will mix the paint color to match your need.

How you apply the paint will make all the difference. Use a HPLV paint sprayer if possible (High Pressure Low Volume). It will give you the best finish. Is painting aluminum, you definitely need a primer coat. Otherwise the new paint won't stick properly, if at all.
I believe you meant HVLP ( high volume low pressure) reduces over spray so you get more product on the vehicle instead of the air.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #15

ChromeOne is a quality single stage paint. Yes on the respirator. Just do the whole front and color matching shouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #16

I am pleased to report that I hired a mobile paint guy who really did a nice job on repainting the entire front side. The color code FR provided was a Godsend, too.

As others suggested, doing the entire front makes the color match/fade issue less noticeable, and in fact makes the trailer look newer- maybe we should all get them reprinted at the 10 year mark!

The paint work set me back $775, but was worth it. Also, to keep the cost down, my wife and I prepped the surface with Preps-all, some kind of solvent that removes wax and residue. We also took a 12X20 King Canopy out to the site in the deep woods and installed it with 10 ft extensions made from gray PVC conduit, and tied it off to nearby trees. The tarp of the canopy kept the leaves and bugs and acorns off the new paint for the first week while it cured.

As soon as I can I'll post some "after shots".

Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #17
Head Rambler

This is a great outcome despite a bad situation. Glad you were able to get the right person to give you the paint code and then find someone to come to you to fix it.

Tags
wildwood