Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Canadian Georgetown 369XL

Park Cable TV outside outlets

I have just purchased a new Georgetown 350 DSSE and I have 2 outside park cable plugs - one on each side of the motorhome in the storage compartments.

The issue I am having is I can not hook up Satelite TV to these park cable plugs as I get no signal.

Supposedly there is a splitter connecting the 2 park cable plug into one coax cable. The question is where??

Any ideas anyone.
Schwing2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #2

You can't use factory Park Cables for Sat. TV connection. They go through some kind of connector box and do not allow the transmission of the DC voltage that the LNB needs for operation. To answer your other question, our '07 unit has the splitter located directly behind the video control switch in the cabinet to the right of the main TV. FR's video/audio installation skills are a bit on the low side.
Chasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
2008 Berkshire Owner

Satellite Connection

I thought I was loosing my mind when I couldn't get a signal. I have a 2008 Berkshire and it's supposed to be "satellite ready". The dealer thought the connector was on the roof.

I'll look for the splitter. Thank you.
RVNDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #4

The dealer did not bother to tell us that the "cable hook-up" was just cable tv only. I found out the hard way. Luckily I know the satellite guy and we just ran the sat connection through a door or window using a flat cable in line adapter. It makes us very adaptable to each situation.
2008 SURVEYOR 303
surveyor254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
2008 Berkshire Owner

Angry "Satellite Ready" - NOT!

I just came off the roof and there's no connection for an antenna. I have a port in the entertainment cabinet that's marked "satellite prep". I removed the cover and there's cable is screwed into the connector, but I have no idea where the other end is.

Who wired this coach... the 3 stooges?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
2008 Berkshire Owner

I have a solution... I removed the external access door behind the refrigerator and punched a hole into the back of the entertainment center. I used a short coax cable with the applicable wall plate inside the rig and screwed the other end into my tripod mounted antenna.

I no longer have to drap the coax thru the window.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:21 AM   #7

cherokee 39 bs connections

I just went through this on my new 09 Cherokee. It has two outside cable connections that are not marked. One is a dedicated satellite cable and the other is for cable tv. My problem arose from wanting to mount my dish on a pole outside and run two feeds into the trailer for a tivo set up. I found out that one of the cables is a direct feed to the entertainment center and the other goes to the antenna booster and then gets split to the other two room locations. I also found out if you remove the antenna booster this one side will become another direct feed I was looking for and the other side will feed the other two rooms, which is perfect as you can output your tivo to the other two locations with that cable. All these connections were in the wall which was accessible by removing the antenna booster. Hard to explain but feel free to ask any direct questions.
plumech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
Site Team

The cable connector goes to the antenna amplifier which blocks DC voltage. That's the problem as satellite uses DC to switch the lnb's. As plumech says if you pull the amplifier plate off you can use the existing "cable" cable for the satellite. Here's one way to rewire the system so you have both when you need it. And it looks neater. satellite_rewire. There are several other ways to do it such as ruinning a completely seperate coax, which is what I would recommend because the cable ran in the RV will be rg-59 and I'd run RG-6.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Great information!

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #10

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwing2008 View Post
I have just purchased a new Georgetown 350 DSSE and I have 2 outside park cable plugs - one on each side of the motorhome in the storage compartments.

The issue I am having is I can not hook up Satelite TV to these park cable plugs as I get no signal.

Supposedly there is a splitter connecting the 2 park cable plug into one coax cable. The question is where??

Any ideas anyone.
I resently fixed by cousin's 340TS, 2008 Motor Home with the same TV problems, poor reception on either Ant. & Cable. After wasting time and fuel taking the RV to their dealer's service department, he called me to fix the system, know that I had to fix my own Hartland 5th wheel having the same issues. Having camped and RV'd for over 40 years I have always done my own repairs and solved and fixed other RV'ers problems as a hobby.
As a RV'er you have to understand; that very few of the RV companys, their engineers, assemblers, dealers, or repair people have ever camped in a RV over a week in their life. They have not had to make the TV work, fill up the water tank, drain the tanks, figure out why the refrigerator or water heater won't stay on. For sure, they have never had to make 4 trips to a Dealer's Service Department to be belittled and told "they fixed it this time.
RV companies and their engineers & designer like to sucker you in by hidding all the systems under petty panels and behind cabinets,etc to my the RV PETTY and Hard to Repair. After I first bought my Bighorn trialer; I remove every panel that was hiding systems, and threw them in the trash, because I want to see everysystem, look for leaks, and get at and repair problems quickly. Removing panels in my storage area also gave me more storage space.
After looking over my cousin's RV, I started reading the forums about Forest River RV's to learn about them and common problems. I found that many owners have TV system problems and that Forest River will not sent out Wiring Skumatics for their products to owners, which is assinine! Everyone owning a RV should have drawings of all systems. Also Forest River likes to hide all the systems, especially wire so that you can't find parts, such as spliters, etc!
How Forest River's TV system on the 340TS works-------
1) Park cable hook-up is in storage cabinet a dirvers' side back end of RV.
2) The other plug on the passener door side in the storage area is for
plugging in a outside TV on the patio.
3) The antena cable and cable from the connection at drivers side rear both
go directly ( hidden under the floor & behind panels) to the cabinet holding
the cover plate with the green lite & push buttom for antena power or
cable. The 3rd cable behind the cover and hooked to the green light
switch goes to a 3 or 4 way splitter. One cable out of the splitter goes to
front TV, second cable goes to the bedroom, and 3rd goes to the outside
storage bay on door side.
4) The splitter was buried or sandwiched in space under the cabinet shelve
holding the DVD player. I had to tear the bottum out of the cabinet to
reach the splitter and conections. Later had to rebuild the cabinet (I am a
master carpenter / mechanic).
5) As I have found in the past, the RV companies use cheap cable end
connectors and their employees do not prep (strip) the cable wires
correctly and then do not crimp the connectors to the wires properly!
6) I restripped every cable end and preplaced every crimp connector with
expensive quality connectors. Cousin now has an exceptional picture on all
TV's weather antenna or cable.
7) I also made up a 30' park cable with quality cable & connector for his use.

I hope that this helps.
WildWind is offline   Reply With Quote