Old 02-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Performance chips

I have a 1999 Ford F-250, 7.3l diesel and am I presently looking into installing a performance chip tuner to upgrade the truck performance. Does anyone have recommendations or compliants of a particular chip manufacturer? I pull a 26ft Wildwood travel trailer in desert and mountain terrain.

CAN-DO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
edge juice platinum programmer i did a review on mine here is the link i love it

2006 F350 6.0 Diesel 3.73 4x4 FX4 "sold"
2010 Keystone Laredo 310RE 5th wheel "sold"

2015 Georgetown 351
mack1roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Look at this from a pure physics perspective. If you do nothing to the engine, it has a given efficiency, which will not change unless you modify the intake, exhaust, or valve timing. Now if all you do is add chip, it does nothing to change the engines efficiency, thus the claim of more horsepower AND better fuel economy is bogus. If you want more power from said engine, you must add more fuel, and the air to mix with it. A chip by itself can't do this. I have nothing against Can-Do, or his post, but what I read was a sales add. What I would like to see is a 100 mile trip, without the chip, reporting acceleration numbers, 0~60, 20~40, 40~60, and mileage, and then repeat the process with the chip at various settings. Then we would have a review. There is another post on here somewhere a guy did a run with and without, without he got better mileage, with he said he could feel more power but it cost him 1 mpg. Bottom Line, don't believe all the sales hype on chips. Also, the biggest reason for a trans beef up is because the chip will alter the line pressure in the trans, and some trannies can't stand that.
Good Luck
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
Check out I have heard rave reviews of their products.

Good luck
2005 Trailblazer LT
2010 Roo 19
Two little rug rats (ds 4 & dd 1)
SJones6335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
Head Rambler
Contrary to windrider's post, tuners (they're not just chips) can provide significant performance improvements on diesel engines. Light duty diesel engines are detuned from the factory to provide numbers that the auto mfg wants. If you look at the different applications of most of these engines you'll see that the same engine will be a 250hp-400ft/lb tq engine in a light truck application and a 350hp-600ft/lb tq engine in a motorhome or bus application. Since the turbo boost and the fuel injector timing is all electronic changing the numbers is possible. He is correct, however, that you can't have power and economy at the same time.

Your 7.3 works especially well with a tuner. There are a lot of tuners to choose from. The Edge products are good ones. Don't expect much in the way of improved fuel economy but performance can be improved. Keep in mind that the "system" (driveline) was designed for the power plant numbers from the factory. If you increase the power past a certain point something will fail. The weakest link is usually the transmission or clutch if it's a manual.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
We also had a chip in our 1999 F-350 and I could tell the difference. That chip manufacture is out of business. We traded the ford for a 2005 GMC 2500 and added an Edge chip and notice the extra power but no millage difference. I am in aggreement that going with a dual exhaust with headers is a way to go too. We now have a V-10 Ford in a motorhome and even though iit has plenty of power, in a couple of years going with a Banks dual exhaust rather than another chip.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Sorry i missed the diesel part. There are a lot of gains on diesel engines, mainly gotten by changing the turbo boost pressure, usually done by controlling the waste gate. By doing this though, you alter the physics of the engine, which is what a turbo does anyway. But as Bama Rambler said, "If you increase the power past a certain point something will fail. The weakest link is usually the transmission or clutch if it's a manual." If I had a diesel and was going to mess with it, I would liook at Banks, they have great customer service, or used to, and will be able to tell you when to stop, or at least what will break next. I still stand by the fact that if you get more power, it will cost you in fuel. You have to pay to play.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
I bought a mild programmer to put on mine ( The Xzillerator 2 on my Dodge gave me a few more ponies without breaking the bank. 4 5 levels to choose from (including stock) and is upgradable via usb cable and website if there's a particular set of tunes you want. It's good enough to really make a difference, but not so much that i'm gonna break a trani doing it. Dodge's trani's are the weakest point (in my year anyway '06) along with u-joints and that was my concern when I bought one. But i also replaced the air filter and housing to allow it to get more air flow then the stock box would allow.

You know, you might visit either turbodieselregistry forum or the powerstroke forum and see what people are saying about them in there. There will be a lot more experience with the different brands and dedicated powerstroke folks can give you the good with the bad.
Where we've been:

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #9
I can say that Banks has a good warranty. I have a Banks header on my Jeep because the factory ones crack too easy. Banks has given me a new header every year for the cost of shipping alone becuase evidently theirs isn't any better than the OEM one. I've replaced that header 4 times in as many years and am about ready for a new one.

I know most people don't ever have these kinds of issues with Banks stuff but at least they are standing behind their "lifetime" warranty no matter how much it will end up costing them in the end....
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
Site Team
Tuners work great with diesels. Gas, not nearly so much. A few bene's like throttle input, shift points, etc but any power gains are small and typically are only noticeable at very high rpm's. One some vehicles, the automatic transmission functions better for towing.

2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote