Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2019, 05:50 AM   #1

Perimeter Floor to Frame Bolts Loose

I discovered every floor to frame nut loose on our new 19 Cherokee Grey Wolf. These are the bolts around the outer perimeter of the trailer. I've not found a lot of information on any RV forum concerning this issue. If this is common, as I did read in one of the two posts I did find, it should be clearly noted as regular maintenance in manuals, guides, etc. I'd advise all to check for this issue. I'm sure with time mine would have just fallen off had I not discovered this.

Are these the only bolts/fasteners holding the floor/structure to the frame?
dmayo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:45 AM   #2
Retired Old Fart

I would add some blue Loc-Tite to them when you tighten them back up. That should help prevent them from vibrating loose again. Blue can be taken off with tools, but red takes heat/torch so make sure to use the blue type.

Blue Loc-Tite is a good thing to keep in your trailer tool box for this reason in general. Not like these things aren't getting shaken like crazy as we drive down the road.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:48 AM   #3

Thanks, I understand the value thread locker. My post was more to shed light on an issue that might otherwise go unnoticed. I didn't have this issue with my previous travel trailer over the 10 years I owned it.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #4

You mean on the outer end of the outriggers? That would really concern me.
Not a good sign. How loose? What else might be wrong? You could tighten them up of course, but what if something else related happens later on? I would most definitely at a min., notify the dealer in writing. Might be a hassle and time consuming, but maybe a trip to the dealer is in order.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:57 PM   #5

We just got our trailer a few weeks ago and had the same issue. Only 1 bolt was loose by hand but none of the perimeter bolts were tight at all. I spent about an hour checking every bolt I could find. Just the perimeter bolts were the only ones not really snug.

I did tow it home 400 miles though, maybe like lug nuts they just nred to be retorted periodically? Lots of vibrations, temp changes, and dissimilar metals?
Old 04-28-2019, 06:26 PM   #6

Having camped in travel trailers for many years I fully understood the lack of attention to detail in the manufacture of these things. So I've spent quite a bit of inspecting everything thoroughly. For the most part this was all I've found. Otherwise it seems to be well constructed.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #7

I should add that I believe the reason the bolts were loose is due to the fact the wood structure compressed under the bolt head a bit after being tightened initially. Again just something others should be aware of during inspection.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #8

I had the same issue on a new '17 Cherokee Grey Wolf. Went around and tightened them all up. Other than that, there was a lot of manufacturing "debris" I vacuumed out of various spaces, but otherwise good-to-go and my family has had a blast with ours!
jbdoughty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:05 PM   #9

Maybe replace the nuts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmayo32 View Post
I should add that I believe the reason the bolts were loose is due to the fact the wood structure compressed under the bolt head a bit after being tightened initially. Again just something others should be aware of during inspection.
Maybe replace all the nuts with "elastic stop nuts."

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:23 PM   #10

I noticed several loose bolts on my in the same location I plan on counting up how many I need and replacing them all with nylock nuts during my next camping trip.
kollinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #11

The same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollinr View Post
I noticed several loose bolts on my in the same location I plan on counting up how many I need and replacing them all with nylock nuts during my next camping trip.
"Nylock" is a brand of elastic stop nuts.
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bolts, floor, frame