Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Dallas Texas

Placing new Level indicators

As I was leveling the coach a couple weeks ago I tapped on the level as I always do to (I have the cheap OEM short glass tube with no curve) to settle the bubble and the whole thing dropped to the ground.

My daughter started laughing because it reminded her of the Sprint commercial when a part of the Zombie's ear fell to the floor. At first everyone just stood there looking like - now what.

So, I need to get the coach level from left to right side (not length ways). Where would be the best reference to place the level? On my 5ver the kingpin framing is all enclosed.

Bill
Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Hawksclaw554

Service tech at dealer brought out two little bubble levels that look like they cost all of 50 cents the had the stickum tape on back and little screws to hold them on. Then forgot to install them after PDI. Noticed them in the basement when I got home. Any ideas on something better then this and proper location to put them would be appreciated.
Hawksclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
There might be a more technical answer, but I just set a small 8" carpenters level on the floor of the coach. Using this method I know that the fridge is level and also we won't be sleeping with our heads going down. I use the same level that my Dad used between 1960 and 1990 and it seemed to always work for him and it's been working for me now.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ View Post
On my 5ver the kingpin framing is all enclosed.

Bill
as in a cover??? do this if it is. I made this for mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	level (1).jpg
Views:	252
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	41751  

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
as in a cover??? do this if it is. I made this for mine
Right, but I think his question is- where/what does he use for level before mounting a new one.

Heck, I have the same question- we use the floor inside of the door and I can change how level we are by simply moving the level itself.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Right, but I think his question is- where/what does he use for level before mounting a new one.

Heck, I have the same question- we use the floor inside of the door and I can change how level we are by simply moving the level itself.
Put the level on the counter and when you're satisfied, put the attachable levels in a convenient spot you can see from the tow vehicle.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Professional Curmudgeon

My owner's manual says to put a small level inside the fridge and level left to right then front to back. Once level all around install a couple of those new huge levels in easy to see locations.
That's not to say the counter top won't work; it's a darn sight better than the floor!
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Actually, using the floor next to the door works pretty well. I can just peek inside the door without actually going in and check the level. Like so much we do, it's personal preference.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
Actually, using the floor next to the door works pretty well. I can just peek inside the door without actually going in and check the level. Like so much we do, it's personal preference.
Not all campers enjoy a level floor, especially in front of the entry door. Incorrect use of stab jacks can tweak the door frame and outriggers which will give a false reading. While it would seem levelling is intended for our comfort, we can sleep in an unlevel camper. What we can't do is operate an out of level fridge (for the most part). It makes sense to set your initial, or reference, level based on that. But as you say, it all comes down to what works for you.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Not all campers enjoy a level floor, especially in front of the entry door. Incorrect use of stab jacks can tweak the door frame and outriggers which will give a false reading.
I don't put down my stab jacks until after I've leveled side to side and front to back. It seems like you'd be risking damage if you did it before...
Old 10-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #11

After I level, I set my stab jacks too. It's a good thing you noted that for the sake of newbies that might think that you can level by using them.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I don't put down my stab jacks until after I've leveled side to side and front to back. It seems like you'd be risking damage if you did it before...
That's exactly what I was talking about.
Setting stabs is the last thing I do, as well. I was referring to the cumulative effects of improperly set stabs. My first TT was used and suffered from a tweaked door and outriggers. Additionally, I have seen this condition on many campers. Something else worth noting is longer Lippert frames seem to be susceptible to sagging at the ends.
Sorry for any confusion.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
My owner's manual says to put a small level inside the fridge and level left to right then front to back. Once level all around install a couple of those new huge levels in easy to see locations.
That's not to say the counter top won't work; it's a darn sight better than the floor!
If your counter is not good enough to determine level, I would be re-leveling the frig. The newer refrigerators are not nearly as sensitive as the old ones were.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #14

I leveled using the bottom of the refrigerator as suggested by someone here and then checked the counter and the floor.

The counter was the same as the refrigerator, the floor had a little more front to back tilt.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If your counter is not good enough to determine level, I would be re-leveling the frig. The newer refrigerators are not nearly as sensitive as the old ones were.
Didn't suggest it wasn't good enough. Just the opposite, in fact. I merely cited a reference that recommended a different spot and the logic behind it. I still believe the floor isn't always the best choice.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Site Team

I use the free "bubble" app on my smart phone. Lay it on the floor and see which way I need to go left to tight. Place ramps under tires if needed, then adjust hitch to bumper after disconnecting. Audible beep let's be know when it level.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
2X..I level the same way........
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Bottom line, you can level on the floor, across the bottom of the trailer, bottom of a 5er overhang, front tongue or along the trim on the side and it will be plenty close enough for the refrigerator. It's just what you feel good about doing. It's not a super critical item.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #19

I use my wife to level the coach, when she says it is level with her super sensitive leveling ability brain then I am good, it does not matter what the big level says on the front she is right ..lol

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #20

for short days I use the bathroom door. I open it half way making sure it stops then I let go, depending on which way it moves and how fast that side needs brought up. Then I use the dogs ball set it on the floor and if it rolls the front either needs to go down or up. but for longer stays out come all the stabilizers, the 15 # dog can really make you seem like you are on a ship.......
driver39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat