Old 05-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_jul View Post
I had the same issue when I bought my MicroLite trailer. The dealer told me to call Forest River and request a new tank. I did call and FR shipped the new tank overnight to the dealer. The dealer told me that FR responds much faster to customers requests than they do to dealers.
That not been my experience. I have a window on the rear of my 2019 Coachmen that doesn't seal properly and have emailed them several times. I got a reply of a list of dealers that are over 300 miles from me. All I wanted from them was to replace the defective window with a frameless window and i would pay the difference. No reply.

Sorry OP for the hijack.

Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #22

I'm split on this because your unit is new . Many times when replacement is called for things never go back the same. In lines, out lines, sensors and even tank supports. Doesn't appear to be too bad. I would not be afraid of a proper patch. The tank is not pressurized and even the sensors can leak where they pass through, had that happen before, just a slight turn on a small nut on the sensor to further compress the rubber washer. I'd think less consequential problems with a patch, but only you can decide that. Maybe you can be compensated by the dealer or FR in another way for the cost difference .

Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #23

Tank hole

Maybe you can just have them give you the new tank, then you can patch the hole, save the tank if you ever need it. If you ever do need it you can put it in yourself so you know it is done right.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #24

Will epoxy stick to that stuff? If so I would think a patch with epoxy might be a good idea
Old 05-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #25

Look at it this way.. if they had noticed it back at the factory (or durimg the PDI) they probably would have welded it and you'd be none the wiser.
007matman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #26

Know it is hard to look past it is new, I want new in perfect condition. I am the first to say I am the same way. But, being someone who has had plastic welding done to numerous tank systems in my business, I would not give a second thought to having that small spot repaired.

We have had cracks around fittings repaired and reinforced, holes from punctures, and even a new lid section replaced on one tank by plastic welding.

I would want to know who is going to do the repair. We used a farm equipment company that built equipment systems with tanks for sprayers etc. Their repair tech does it every day during planting season.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:29 PM   #27

Not the water tank, my black tank had a leak from the wash fitting, 9 years old, I considered removing the tank but...the top of mine is flanged to hang on frame cross members. The straps are really restraints, although they do carry a bit of stress with the tank nearly full. I don't think the tank could have been removed. My water tank is supported the same way. Yours may well be different but if not a weld will be good. Many tanks are fabbed by welding the panels together, it is not a big deal if the welder is reasonably good.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #28

If you can get close enough to it for a picture then put some JB Weld on it and move on. I've used that stuff for fuel cans with excellent long term use.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #29

Just an update for everyone. I could not get a solid answer as how they were going to handle it or when I could drop it off or how long the repair was gonna take. I bought a airless plastic welder for polyethylene and made the repair myself last night. The welder was less than $50 with 30ft of filler rod. I have a friend that works in a plastic machine shop and got me some pieces to practice on. Made the repair and Filled it up with water last night, haven’t seen a drop yet.
Jhall244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #30

Great solution. With very little water pressure against your weld, I would bet it will last as long as the tank.

AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank