Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #1

Portable generator advice for newbie

My husband and I are brand new to RVing, so we're hoping you experts can help us out. We bought a Duromax 10,000W portable generator to power our new fifth wheel when out in the country. We‘ve used a basic surge protector at campgrounds, but do we need to use one with the generator? My concern is that the surge protector that worked perfectly at the campground is giving us odd readings when plugged into the generator. It's a 50AMP connection, and when plugged into the generator, the lights on the surge protector first indicated "missing L1 120 V". A month later, we plugged it in again and this time the lights indicate "open neutral". We haven't plugged in the RV yet because we're afraid me could do some major damage. Should we be concerned or can we just plug the RV directly into the generator, bypassing the surge protector? One additional thing - we bought a 2017 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EL. We've tried to figure out if that RV came with any built in surge protection, but the specs don't seem to explain much. Please help! We're so confused.
4eversmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #2

Your generator probably lacks a neutral-ground bond. Easy to fix.

Video here:

https://youtu.be/Wr3ZKDN-8Go

There is much less need for a surge protector on a generator circuit, since you are not connected to the power grid that gets lightning strikes to overhead transmission lines. It is also possible that momentary voltage sag (when large loads like air conditioners switch on if you are on generator power) will cause the surge protector trip out.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
Site Team

I hate to tell you but that generator will violate noise rules in every campground I've been in and read about, in 30 years of camping.

It's fine for boondocking or motor races but not in a campground.

You need an inverter generator for campground usage.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You need an inverter generator for campground usage.
+1. And then you definitely won't need a surge protector, because the inverter style generator produces a much safer, steadier wave that's safe even for delicate electronics, and as such, your camper as well. 20 minutes of running the unit you have now--you'll want to pull your hair out because you won't be able to hear yourself think, your neighbors will want to hook up your camper themselves and tow you out of the CG, and the rangers will already be filling out portions of the violation they're going to hit you with.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #5

bikendan, OP states that they bought the generator for use when out in the "Country" and not in CG.
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
bikendan, OP states that they bought the generator for use when out in the "Country" and not in CG.
Sorry, missed that.
Saw campground mentioned numerous times.
Thought that's what they were wanting to use it for.

To the OP, please ignore what I posted.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 11-12-2016, 12:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Your generator probably lacks a neutral-ground bond. Easy to fix.

Video here:

https://youtu.be/Wr3ZKDN-8Go

There is much less need for a surge protector on a generator circuit, since you are not connected to the power grid that gets lightning strikes to overhead transmission lines. It is also possible that momentary voltage sag (when large loads like air conditioners switch on if you are on generator power) will cause the surge protector trip out.
Bluebill - Thanks for the video link. That looks like an easy solution. So is it safe to say that it's not wise to plug the RV into the generator if there isn't a neutral ground bond? Sorry we're so in the dark on this stuff. Were hoping to get the generator set up and working this weekend but it looks like the grounding plug in that video isn't available in a brick and mortar store. Do you know if this item at Home Depot would accomplish the same thing? Legrand Pass & Seymour 30 Amp 125/250-Volt Grounding Plug-L1430PCCV3 - The Home Depot
Old 11-12-2016, 12:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Sorry, missed that.
Saw campground mentioned numerous times.
Thought that's what they were wanting to use it for.

To the OP, please ignore what I posted.
Sorry I didn't make that more obvious. We'll be out on the middle of some acreage with no one around, so noise level won't be an issue for anyone else, but now that you've pointed it out, I hope the volume isn't too loud for us! We're learning day by day.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:27 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eversmiling View Post
Sorry I didn't make that more obvious. We'll be out on the middle of some acreage with no one around, so noise level won't be an issue for anyone else, but now that you've pointed it out, I hope the volume isn't too loud for us! We're learning day by day.
better turn the tv volume up and run the a/c!
Old 11-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
If your like most people "Now" that communicate by "Text " the Extreme generator noise won't be a issue! Youroo! !
Old 11-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #11

Don't get overly concerned about the noise, there are a few dozen videos on YouTube as to how to hush them down to a level of social acceptance.

We also went with a large portable generator, not so much for just the RV use but also to power the house with in weather events leaving us without power. Now we use the same 50amp cord that is used to plug the RV in with the exception that it plugs into the generator and then into the power out let installed in the garage for such use.

And yes, it is all legal with the proper electrical panel lock outs in place.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Simply plug your RV into the generator without your portable surge protector.
You will be fine. In looking at the specs for the generator, it mentions having 'built in AC and DC regulators' so I'm guessing a surge protector is already built into the generator.

The need for the 'edison plug' is because some EMS (electrical management system) units will lock out the incoming power if it doesn't see the neutral and ground bonded together. The link Bluepill posted explains it very well. If you are having trouble finding a 'edison plug' here is a link to the one Progressive industries (makers of EMS units) sells. *GENERATOR PLUG*

You mentioned you are not sure if your rig came with an EMS but you will only need the 'edison plug' if it did.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Simply plug your RV into the generator without your portable surge protector.
You will be fine. In looking at the specs for the generator, it mentions having 'built in AC and DC regulators' so I'm guessing a surge protector is already built into the generator.

The need for the 'edison plug' is because some EMS (electrical management system) units will lock out the incoming power if it doesn't see the neutral and ground bonded together. The link Bluepill posted explains it very well. If you are having trouble finding a 'edison plug' here is a link to the one Progressive industries (makers of EMS units) sells. *GENERATOR PLUG*

You mentioned you are not sure if your rig came with an EMS but you will only need the 'edison plug' if it did.
Thanks for clarifying, especially on whether or not I can plug the RV into the generator without the surge protector. We'll give it a try and if it doesn't work, we'll order the generator plug. So thankful for all you experienced RVers willing to help the rest of us out!
Old 11-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #14

There are many generator when running on full load they are less the 50dba. look for generator that have less then 50dba and your neighbors love you.
bar1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #15

Now I've got a question:

Raised by the OP regarding Surge: If a generator runs until it is out of fuel, and does that loping-almost out of fuel thing they do, Is THAT considered "Surge" and can it do damage to electronics like the fridge control board, or the main box?
Or are we only concernd with over-amperage?
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
Raised by the OP regarding Surge: If a generator runs until it is out of fuel, and does that loping-almost out of fuel thing they do, Is THAT considered "Surge" and can it do damage to electronics like the fridge control board, or the main box?
Good question. Fridge and DSI water heater control boards are 12 volt, so erratic A/C voltage will not have an effect. The converter/charger and other 120 volt loads (microwave, TV, A/C, etc.) *might not* like the voltage and frequency drop as the genny surges. Best to flip off the main breaker at the genny or power panel if you think you are going low on fuel.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #17

What always concerns me (and why I always run an inverter pure sine wave) is, the modified sine wave a normal 3600 rpm 2 pole genny makes is hard on just about anything solid state, your converter included.... and the frequency variation too.

Inverter genny's make true sine wave 60 hz electronically, not mechanically. The mechanics are actually a DC generator head (which is partially why all of them have an 'economy' mode) because it don't really matter what rpm the generator head is spinning at, so long as it's making amperage...the electronics convert the dc output to ac and regulate the frequency.

With a 2 pole AC genny, 60 hz is entirely dependent on rotor RPM. It has to be maintained at 3600 rpm exactly to produce 60 hz, Any fluctuation in the RPM cause the cps to fluctuate and a normal 2 pole head, even if skew wound, will only produce a modified sine wave, much like a cheap 12 volt to 110 volt nverter does.

Why conventional genny's are usually half the price of an equal output inverter. It's all in frequency stability and waveform output.

Finally, pretty easy to quiet down a 3600 rpm screamer.. Just add a couple foot length of flexible exhaust tubing (JC Whitney or Autozone) and clamp it to the muffler outlet and point it away from people. That will reduce the noise a lot.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Finally, pretty easy to quiet down a 3600 rpm screamer.. Just add a couple foot length of flexible exhaust tubing (JC Whitney or Autozone) and clamp it to the muffler outlet and point it away from people. That will reduce the noise a lot.
Not necessarily true.

Most of the noise is from the motor, not the muffler on modern generators.

That's why those that own open frame generators have to build a insulated box with vent fants.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #19

Generators really haven't really much changed the last 30 years except for the inverter and the old screamers had cast iron engines (quieter) and the new ones are aluminum engines (more noise) Quieting the exhaust will help.....

Not keen on putting one in a box, fan or not.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
I have a similar concern with the air conditioner, that loping can't be good for the compressor as they should never be rapidly cycled. I'm wondering if the heavy load created by the A/C will prevent the generator from loping and just shut it down rapidly? I'm not willing to sacrifice my A/C by testing it!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, newbie