Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Potential Problem

Sierra 295RLT fifth wheel.Wife wanted double elec. outlet in kitchen.Easiest was to surface mount a wiremold box at location of original outlet,which is in kitchen slide.Removed original outlet found wires installed in alum. framing of slide wall.They drilled a hole in face under cabinet and broke a hole through side of alum at outlet location,wires were pulled tight over edge of alum.Eventually I am sure they would have worn thru and shorted out.Just a heads up.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #2

You are probably 100% correct. Would have caused a short and it most likely would have happened while on a trip. Good you found it now and can fix it at your leisure.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Don't know why, other than quotas to meet, that RV manufacturers have so many electrical issues. I've had a Coleman "Bayside" Pop-up [120 volts issue for AC circuit-wire came out of the receptacle- it worked at walk through but didn't when we got home] Keystone "Litehouse 23SS" Hybrid Trailer [Light & Fan in bath just stopped working- neutral came off in ceiling at junction of wiring near ceiling light] Georgetown 370TS - motorhome [ 2 receptacles in bedroom, 1 worked, 1 didn't- found 1900 junction box under bed, one wire was connected to the main feed, the other was just pushed in the box, never connected, never stripped] So far I've been able to trace out the problems and fix them myself. 2 at home and the other on the road. One important tool to keep in the RV is a multi-meter. It doesn't have to be a Fluke-meter or any other high priced meter unless that's your preference. I have a cheapy Sears Digital Meter - bought it on Black Friday for $9.89. It meets all of the requirements I have.

One area the RV industry should improve is using crimp type connectors with caps and get away from wire nuts. They don't tape them and vibrations can cause them to loosen and the wires free themselves. One of the biggest problem I've seen is them trying to connect 4 wires with a wire nut that is too small and bare wire is exposed.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Grape Escape

Can't believe they get away with this. What does the RIV approval actually cover and are not licensed electricians required for electrical work? And the US government is going after Toyota for suspect safety issues??? Time they looked in their own back yard.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #5

Roo 23ss electrical issues

I could not agree more about the electrical work/systems.
I have an 07 23ss Roo. Could not keep the breaker on for the convenience receptacles. An investigation revealed the MFG. had all eight 15 amp receptacles on one 15 amp breaker. The bathroom GFI, was the head end of the line. The J-box connecting the SO cord for the slide out was crammed against the wall, and the screws were so tight, they deformed the cover plates. 6 hours later.... I have 3 circuits now. All are GFI protected, and the kitchen is dedicated. What bothers me the most was the cost... I did not cost that much to do this job right! Where were the inspectors?
jcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The automotive isndustry has to deal w/ MVSS (Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), what does the RV industry have? I'm pretty sure the MVSS is administered by the feds (Canada & USA).

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Grape Escape

And the auto manufacturers have recalls continually and they do fix flaws many years after the warrantee has expired.
The RV industry answers to no one it seems.
Flawed frames, tires, electrical, plumbing, sound systems etc.
No wonder Warren Buffet invested in the RV industry. Money in the bank as soon as customer parts with it.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote