Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Villa Estate 392FLFB
power converter's power usage

GF and i have been going through the camper last few days trying to figure what is making the power bill so high. we only started using the AC this month, and the furnace has been off for a few months.

in our trailer the following things are 110v
- 1 set of lights
- fridge
- microwave (light and exhaust fan)
- water heater
- TV and game systems
- PC (only on when we use it)
- 2 fans
- sparker for gas stove
- fan for furnace
- AC (just started using it in july)

12v items
- stereo
- ceiling fan
- outside lights
- 31 lights inside are 12v (not on all at once of course! usually 6-10 bulbs when home)
- bathroom vent fan (barely used)
- 12v converter

so our power bill is about the same it was in the winter.. about $200/month and we cant figure out why. even in the winter we plugged in our cars and had electric heaters going!

so the converter comes to mind. it doesnt usually come on until you get about 12 lights or so + the stereo and the fan going. then soon as you shut off the lights or stereo etc it will quiet up. Do you guys think that my battery is potentially shot and the converter is running 24/7 and that's whats cranking up the power bill? I know the batter works and is good and strong. It moves the slides like nothing and when we had the power outages it kept us in the light for almost a day no problem.

One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
I would get a amp meter and connect it into the circuit and turn things on and off and see what is drawing the most.
2008 Rockwood 8281ss
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi
Reese 15k Slider
mikegp1 is offline   Reply With Quote