Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #1

power convertor

I don't know where my power convertor is located on my 2007 salem pt 402 2b I'm plugged into a camp ground power source but yet my lights and radio is still running off my camper battety. Is there a way it all can be ran off the power from the plug in from the pole?
oledagolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The convertor is usually located behind the main 120V/12V fuse panel.

When plugged into shorepower, the convertor converts 120V to 12V for your lighting, radio, water pump, etc. Why do you think that the lighting is running off the battery...lights getting dim?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #3

check hidden places near the fuse panel. (they don't like to run anymore of that large wire than necessary)

my question would be are u sure it isn't coming on? most don't switch out the battery when they run.

you could also have inadvertently unplugged it. mine is located in the cargo area and plugs into an outlet there. (urs may be in a different location).
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #4

Yes the lights are very dim and when too many on the radio speakers quit all of a sudden, just got the cabin couple weeks ago.... so I'll have to check the storage compartments to see if i can find it.... is there a switch or just a cord that needs to be plugged in because the tv and other appliances work
oledagolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Site Team

have you had the battery tested?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #6

u may want to check the a/c breaker pannel and see if anything has tripped.
my converter just plugs into an ac outlet. there are some fuses on the converter also (don't remember if there were breakers also). if one of them is tripped or blown, u need to find out why.

on my 84, the converter was under the stove. i think i have read where some put them under the frig. i would tell u to listen for it but if it isn't working...

the converter on my current trailer is abt a foot to the side of the breaker box. it shouldn't be far away from there.

the only one i had come unplugged was the one under the stove and that was from the power cord getting tangled with it and pulling it out when i pulled the cord to hook up to campground power.

i would try shutting off each of the breakers and turning them back on (sometimes it is hard to tell if they are tripped). if u know which one goes to the air conditioner. u may want to leave that one alone or leave it off for 3 or 4 minutes..if u are running the air conditioner.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #7

I'm thinking I would have to battery tested, in place with the camper, for a "drawn-down test". Most auto parts places do these now to promote battery sales. Any decent auto shop can do these also. Basically they test to see how fast the battery "draws-down" under a full load-such as all the lights on, the radio on, any other 12 V-DC source on. A battery is much cheaper than a new convertor unit.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote