Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2009, 01:08 PM   #1

Power Cord

The question is "Do You Roll the Power Cord or String the Power Cord" as you set up! I have heard that rolling the cord and setting on the ground (or hang) can cause heat and act like a transformer, causing damage to the power cord and or the electrical system.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #2

It all depends how much cord i need. I have coiled it before with no problem but that doesnt mean it the right way to do it, but just that its not ever gotten hot on me
Old 12-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound of Sound View Post
The question is "Do You Roll the Power Cord or String the Power Cord" as you set up! I have heard that rolling the cord and setting on the ground (or hang) can cause heat and act like a transformer, causing damage to the power cord and or the electrical system.
In all my years dealing with RVs I have never heard of this issue. Don't know where you heard this but sounds like someone feeding you a bit of "alarmist" information.

Sounds like hooey to me. Just pull the cord out and plug it in. If the pedestal is close to the RV then I leave the majority of the cord coiled up inside the compartment and only pull out as much as needed.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have heard a little of what Chuck is talking about. It is my understanding that a tightly bunched up cord cannot dissipate heat as well as one that is unwound under a heavy load. Worst case scenerio, if the cord can't give up enough hear, the it could heat up to much and melt, but I think that is more directed at small cords, not an 30 amp RV cord.

I have never heard of the transformer theory.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #5

Okay.. I've got an Electrical Engineering degree.. Guess I should use it once in awhile!

It can happen to any cord... but it is VERY rare...

All extension cords are engineered to assume that the cord will operate in open air and in a straight line. Now this of course isn't realistic, but they add margins of safety and most people never get close to the rated amperage of even a household cord.

I would not worry about this for your RV.

1) Your using it outside... So the cord has airflow (vs. someone who coils up an indoor cord under a rug)

2) The RV rarely draws the max amperage for any length of time. Maybe if you are running all the A/C units, cooking a roast for 3 hours and you leave the fireplace on?

3) Good luck getting an even/tight coil on your RV cord. Mine is fairly stiff no matter what the temp is outside.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #6

Thanks for putting it in perspective Steve. I think that black cord would get hotter sitting in the direct sun in summer than it is likely to by the current draw through them.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:46 PM   #7

Agreed. This is a handy calculator if you need to work out the max cord lengths (Assumes a 3% voltage drop, whereas I typically shoot for a 2%). To each his own...

http://www.gorhamschaffler.com/wire_...alculator.html

A 50 Amp RV service is typically 2 120V 50 Amp feeds, so you would select 120V and 50 Amp, then plug in your distance and it will spit out the gauge to use.

From what I've seen #6 is the gauge used on most 50 Amp RVs.

Another link with info on RV power feeds:

http://www.myrv.us/electric/
Old 01-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSteve View Post
Okay.. I've got an Electrical Engineering degree.. Guess I should use it once in awhile!

It can happen to any cord... but it is VERY rare...

All extension cords are engineered to assume that the cord will operate in open air and in a straight line. Now this of course isn't realistic, but they add margins of safety and most people never get close to the rated amperage of even a household cord.

I would not worry about this for your RV.

1) Your using it outside... So the cord has airflow (vs. someone who coils up an indoor cord under a rug)

2) The RV rarely draws the max amperage for any length of time. Maybe if you are running all the A/C units, cooking a roast for 3 hours and you leave the fireplace on?

3) Good luck getting an even/tight coil on your RV cord. Mine is fairly stiff no matter what the temp is outside.
I really have to agree with that stiff cord. I really wished they would have set the coach up with a plug type adapter inside the compartment or better yet one inside a weatherproof cover. It like trying to bend a piece of bamboo into a circle. Most likely a spring-time project I'm thinking about.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I really have to agree with that stiff cord. I really wished they would have set the coach up with a plug type adapter inside the compartment or better yet one inside a weatherproof cover. It like trying to bend a piece of bamboo into a circle. Most likely a spring-time project I'm thinking about.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Agreed. I was looking at these:

http://www.tdiproducts.com/products/rvindex.htm
Old 01-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #10

Power Cord

Thanks for the info. Its seems as though the wool was some what pulled over my eyes.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote