Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 07:04 AM   #1

Power cutting off then back on a minute later

We're on our first trip of the year. This is the third morning. Temps are in the 90s so the AC has run non stop. The power has cut off twice and came back on. No breakers trip. The 120 just stops working. Then just just comes back on. AC starts back up and the time on the microwave and radio resets. Any ideas?

Edit: I'm on 30 amp
Old 05-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #2

sounds like 'where' you are plugged in has some brown-outs(short power loss)... typically in hot summer months, but if not tripping any breakers, probably not anything to do with your RV.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #3

do you have an EMS in the power shore power supply? it could be dropping power du to low voltage. if you do have one go check it and see if the prior error status indicated low voltage.

if not this ask some others if they are having the same problem to see if it is external to you or something that is just affecting you. it could conceivably be a loose conection that it heating up, breaking a connection, cooling, and reconnecting.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
Site Team

Check you power recepticle on the outside. Mine did that and on our first trip, and had a lose wire that melted the plug and ruined the power cord. Finally stopped working all together. See if 30 amp cord is hot.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180715_132312553.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	205510Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180715_132302889.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	205511Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180716_103410462.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	205516

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #5

Thanks guys.

I do not have an EMS. I know, I know.

I checked the plug on both ends. They are fine. No electrical smell either. I'll ask a few around me and I'll also get the campground to check out the power box just in case.

If you all can think of anything else just let me know
Old 05-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #6

They just replaced the breaker on the pole. Today is supposed to be the hottest day so I'll update everyone to see if this fixes it.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #7

We were in a CG last year and as soon as we plugged in (nothing on except converter) the pedestal would go out. Their "electrician" (all-purpose handyman) came over with a voltmeter and said it should be fine, but every time the pedestal breaker was flipped off and on, the power went out. It was late in the day so they couldn't do anything until the next day. We ran off the 20 amp receptacle overnight just fine. They replaced the pedestal guts and that fixed the issue. There had to have been a bad connection inside somewhere.

Was funny watching the guy work on the pedestal. Clearly NOT an electrician. Several times he shorted out 120 volts to the pedestal enclosure with lots of sparks, smoke and cuss words, lol!
Old 05-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Check you power recepticle on the outside. Mine did that and on our first trip, and had a lose wire that melted the plug and ruined the power cord. Finally stopped working all together. See if 30 amp cord is hot.
Problem with the OP's situation is probably one of an automatic reset breaker on the primary power line, if stormy conditions were involved. Most power companies protect their primaries (high voltage lines)with not only fuses, but with automatic reset breakers, which will reset a fixed number of times (usually five) to clear a temporary short circuit on the HV line, such as a falling tree limb, something hitting a pole, and the like.

On the burned connector: The reasons for this failure are either/and the connection to the male or the female end being made incorrectly (loose) and basically cheap connectors. Over the years, I've found that Hubbell brand twist lock connectors will carry even a considerable overload without damage, assuming correct installation and being clean. They are rather pricey compared to Marinco and the like, but well worth the extra expense, IMHO. Buy quality once, cry once.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #9

So far so good with the breaker change. No storms this weekend. Which is surprising with the heat.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Lab View Post
Problem with the OP's situation is probably one of an automatic reset breaker on the primary power line, if stormy conditions were involved. Most power companies protect their primaries (high voltage lines)with not only fuses, but with automatic reset breakers, which will reset a fixed number of times (usually five) to clear a temporary short circuit on the HV line, such as a falling tree limb, something hitting a pole, and the like.

On the burned connector: The reasons for this failure are either/and the connection to the male or the female end being made incorrectly (loose) and basically cheap connectors. Over the years, I've found that Hubbell brand twist lock connectors will carry even a considerable overload without damage, assuming correct installation and being clean. They are rather pricey compared to Marinco and the like, but well worth the extra expense, IMHO. Buy quality once, cry once.
Yes. I was surprised that my situation didn't throw a breaker. The white wire screw was backed all the way out on the recepticle inside the RV wall. Had never been tighten. The other 2 wires weren't very tight either. Service teck reported to fr that it obviously left Forester factory that way. [emoji32]

Old 05-26-2019, 07:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
So far so good with the breaker change. No storms this weekend. Which is surprising with the heat.
Good for you. Now enjoy and stay cool. 🤠

Old 05-30-2019, 07:32 PM   #12

Quote:
They just replaced the breaker on the pole. Today is supposed to be the hottest day so I'll update everyone to see if this fixes it.
Had a similar issue a couple years back. Park had to replace breakers that were worn out from use.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:49 PM   #13

Quote:
I can see the problem with breakers, as normal circuit breakers are not designed to serve in place of switches, that is repeatedly being turned on and off, usually under load. There are breakers designed for this service, but they are understandably much more costly.

I was assuming the voltage measurements were made under load at the pedestal, which apparently was not the case. Always verify voltages under load when you suspect an under voltage condition.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power