Old 02-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Question Power for tv

I have a 2005 sv 264 surveyor that i want to put a flat screen in. My question is : When dry camping, rather than running a extension cord from the power inverter in your truck to the tv, can you plug your 30amp rv power cord via a 15/30amp adapter into the power inverter without any problems ? That is the only 110volt appliance i will be running and only at night for about 2 hours. Anyone have a different idea ?? Thanks jeff

Jeff Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
How big is the power inverter in the truck? You also have to be careful when plugging in the trailer, the converter will want power to charge the camper battery, the Refer may switch to AC, you have a clock in the microwave. I also hope you have the inverter in the truck on a separate battery, else you may find a dead truck batter when you get ready to leave. Have you tried the inverter with a TV. Most flat screens don't like the cheap inverters and won't work with them. Your mileage may be different.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Windrider speaks the truth! With the rig plugged into the inverter you will be running the converter in the rig and anything else that is 110V dependant unless you start shutting off breakers.

As an example. We have a 1000 watt inverter in our rig. It is wired to only the 110V outlets that power the entertainment center and the refrigerator (it's on the same circuit). Now, today before we left our camp spot I switched on the inverter and unplugged from shore power for a test.

With our TV, satellite receiver, video switch box, satellite dish control box and refrigerator running on 110volts we were drawing 55 amps from the batteries! OUCH! That's huge considering that most rigs only have about 180 amps worth of battery bank if that. Once I switched the refrigerator to LP only mode the power usage dropped to 15 amps. Turning off the TV dropped the power usage to 6 amps. Turning the satellite dish receiver off dropped it to 5 amps. Etc. Etc. Etc. Even if your TV isn't turned on it is still pulling some power.

For this reason I would not plug the rig into the inverter directly, you will run your battery down really quickly. On our old motorhome I mounted an inverter under the dash and using an extension cord plugged into it I ran the cord up the A-pillar and behind the upper cabinet where the TV, DVD and Satellite rec. were kept. I installed a standard old construction outlet box in the cabinet, cut the end off the cord and wired it to an outlet and installed it all in the box. Therefore when we wanted to use the inverter to power things I would just unplug them from the one outlet and plug them into the "inverter" outlet there in the cabinet and turn on the inverter. Worked great!
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
I have no experience with how much power a 12 volt TV would take up, but maybe that might be another possibility for you? I have been reading over to see what possibilities are out there and they have some flat screens (some with built in dvd players) that might work, depending on the size you're looking for...I think the biggest they sell are 22".

I looked at the 19" skyworth with dvd player and (assuming wattage is constant), it should use 5 amps to run and if you're running it for only a couple of hours, you should be fine. Nice part is that it also comes with the 120 plug so that if you are on shore power somewhere, you can plug in to 120 too.

60 watts/12 volts = 5 amps

Just another possibility....
Where we've been:

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Site Team
First thing you need to do is read the fine print on your TV and see
what the wattage is.
All flat screens are NOT created equal.
I installed a 12v "cigarette lighter type" socket next to
my TV and I use one of those little cheapo inverters that some
others say won't work.
Mine works fine for me. Magnavox 19" LCD tv.
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Thanks for the replys and bringing light to things i didnt think about. I did get a new direction to go. Back to the drawing board !!!

Jeff Carey is offline   Reply With Quote