Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #1

power inverter

i have a 2009 george town 373ds that has solar panels (2) i think they are gp-rv 125. i also have gpr-25 regulator controling the power off the panels into 4 6-volt deep cell batterys. I need to know what is the pest way to install a power inverter and what kind. I want to do some dry camping ? i want to run the tv,coffie maker and my c-pap machine at night. the batterys are 225 amp each. thank you

Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Good Luck your talking huge power invertor at least 1500, I would check coffee machine and see what that uses since that will be the biggest big.

At 1000 watts 110 volt your batteries should but be used for more then about 5 hours before they need to be recharged. You have a very good size battery bank.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

4 six volt 225 AH batteries form two 12 volt cells. Each cell has an amp hour rating of 225 amps. Two cells equals 550 amp hours.

This is plenty to run a 2500 watt inverter and power your coffee maker and tv for morning coffee and "Good Morning America"

However, make sure you have HUGE battery cables and a proper 250 amp fuse inline to the inverter. A 2500 watt inverter delivering 2400 watts will draw 200 amps from the battery 12volts into 2400 watts = 200 amps.

Coffee makers do not draw continuously; the hot plate draws all the time (about 800 watts) and the "percolator" heater draws about 700 when actually perking. You can hear the folks at the park trying to use their Honda 2000's to make coffee in the morning and you can actually hear them scream up; then down; when the perking starts. It will run like that for as long as it takes to make coffee; then drop to a gentle roar until the pot is turned off. The generator is designed to deliver that load, but it sure does complain.

My Yamaha 3000 complains as well, so we now make coffee with a "cowboy coffee pot" unless we are in full hookups.

30 amps times 120 volts = 3600 watts

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #4

personaly, if i were going to an inverter, i would opt for a pure sine wave output.
u should be able to pick one up for under $500 that has a cont output of 2Kw. if u do a little figuring, u may be able to do it on 1.5K or less. the coffee pot and microwave will definately be ur downfall.
ur lighting and cpap can be run on dc. u can probably pick up a cord at radio shack for ~$10 or from ur medical supply co for ~$75. Unless u work shift work, u could probably switch the inverter off at night. (consider the power drain while the inverter is on and in standby).
to save the energy for coffee making, consider visiting ur neighbor and having coffee with them.

the pure sine wave may not be necessary but electronic and motor driven items prefer it.

if u think abt it, tv, microwave, fan, coffee pot is abt all that requires AC; the other big users run of gas or DC.

word of mouth on what others are using is the best way but u can do an internet search for inverters and see what is out there and how much they are.
on the supply cable, mount as close as possible to the bat to minimize the supply cable.
also consider how ur going to tie it into the 120 supply. consider if u plug into the normal AC input, the converter is going to run and use power unnecessarily, u can unplug this or kill the breaker to it.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I have a single circuit that powers the entertainment center. That is all we use the inverter for. Tv, computer, DVD player, and charging phones, iPad.

I run an extension cord now, but this summer when I pull the belly covers I will run romex to a single duplex outlet.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote