Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #1

Power issues

We have been having an issue where even though the battery is fully charged, nothing ever runs in the camper off the battery. We are fine on AC power. This past weekend we were at a family BBQ, and camping out. One of the guys pulled out a multi-meter and check the battery, great power. He check all the fuses no issues. The fuse in the truck is brand new, we have an F-150. He continued to check the electrical, and tested a small circuit breaker located between the battery, and the junction box going into the camper. He completed the circuit with the test clip, and low and behold, we had power in the camper from the battery. I just removed the part from the trailer frame. It was underneath, and pretty hard to get off. I stripped one of the screws but, used a penetrating lubricant, and twisted the screw out of the trailer frame with a pair of linemen's tools. The part is called a Shortstop, it is a 12/24V L53 40A, circuit breaker. The part is listed in my local RV shops book for $4.29 but, I've seen them on-line for half that price. We will be getting the part this weekend. I will post with the results of this adventure.
JJankows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Site Team

That's a pretty common issue. There have been several instances of that breaker failing to automatically reset. I'd use dielectric grease or sealant when putting it back together.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #3

same

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJankows View Post
We have been having an issue where even though the battery is fully charged, nothing ever runs in the camper off the battery. We are fine on AC power. This past weekend we were at a family BBQ, and camping out. One of the guys pulled out a multi-meter and check the battery, great power. He check all the fuses no issues. The fuse in the truck is brand new, we have an F-150. He continued to check the electrical, and tested a small circuit breaker located between the battery, and the junction box going into the camper. He completed the circuit with the test clip, and low and behold, we had power in the camper from the battery. I just removed the part from the trailer frame. It was underneath, and pretty hard to get off. I stripped one of the screws but, used a penetrating lubricant, and twisted the screw out of the trailer frame with a pair of linemen's tools. The part is called a Shortstop, it is a 12/24V L53 40A, circuit breaker. The part is listed in my local RV shops book for $4.29 but, I've seen them on-line for half that price. We will be getting the part this weekend. I will post with the results of this adventure.
I have been having the same issue with my 19' shamrock, but will be darned if I can find that circuit breaker on this camper.
ransac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #4

Hi ransac. If you'll follow the wires from the battery on the tongue, the other end of those wires IS connected to that junction block/fuse. It is usually just under the tongue area on the frame. You'll have to crawl under to see it. Mine went bad when my camper was 3 months old!!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #5

found

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Hi ransac. If you'll follow the wires from the battery on the tongue, the other end of those wires IS connected to that junction block/fuse. It is usually just under the tongue area on the frame. You'll have to crawl under to see it. Mine went bad when my camper was 3 months old!!! Randy
well of course you were right, I did find it as described tucked up by the junction box. Breaker was very ripe and fell apart when i took it off. Went to auto parts store and got another, replaced and still no 12v. Thought then it was a ground problem and troubleshot that until electrition freind stopped by, and he promply told me the battery terminal connections were reversed. Changed that and all is well. Thanks for you help.
ransac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #6

Sorry for the delay in this post. We got the new circuit breaker, and installed the part. We are camping this weekend, and will have a chance to see if this solved our problem.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #7

Some are auto reset and some are manual reset with a little button on one end.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #8

Seems that we are having a possible issue with this converter again, this time everytime we plug into a GFI outlet we trip the switch. We have been able to plug into the outlet before without issues. Could there be a short that may be causing this issue or could it be the converters take a beating and need to be replaced periodically?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #9

The converter is used to supply 12 vdc and charge the battery. If you are tripping a GFI the problem is either the GFI is bad or you have an electrical problem on that circuit.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote