Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #1

Powering a Tent Trailer

Hi, I have a Flagstaff 2010, Tent Trailer, Model 207. My question is, we will be camping in places where there is no electric service. I purchased a Canadian Tire Motomaster ELiminator Power Box, 700 Watts, 1000 Amps. Will I be able to use this to power the water pump? I assume the pump is 12 Volt, somewhere between 5 and 10 Amps, I cannot find out what it is anywhere..Anyway, I want to use the power box to run the water pump for hot water and perhaps a light now and again, since the hot water tank is gas heated....What do you guys think? Please and thanks.
Mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
I purchased a Canadian Tire Motomaster ELiminator Power Box, 700 Watts, 1000 Amps.
I'm not sure where CT gets 1000 amps from. It sure doesn't have 1000 cold cranking amps; and it is rated for ~24 amp hours. To compare a regular deep cycle batter has over 100 amps hours.

Does you trailer not have a deep cycle battery?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #3

I don't think that will help you much for powering your trailer, never heard of anyone using one of these. It's not like a generator, rather the energy is stored similar to a battery, once the energy is consumed, you are done. Often times a energy source with high cold cranking amps really doesn't provide long term power, rather a strong burst to start an engine.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum!

I am not quite sure what your are trying to accomplish. The trailer's battery will power the 12-volt items of the trailer. How long the battery lasts will depend on its capacity, condition and how conservative you are with your electrical usage.

Does your trailer not have a battery or or you wanting the Power Box as a backup in case you deplete the battery?

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Site Team

since we don't have Canadian Tire in the U.S., can't find anything online.
do you have a link to one?

if it's what i think it is, those are for jumping dead car batteries and not for deep-cycle RV type usage.

not sure why you would use one if you already have a battery on the trailer.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #6

I think this is the one Mike bought: 700 Amp Model

They make a few other ones as well: Link

I personally own the 600 amp model; and bought it for tent camping years ago. It still comes with me as a backup; I know that if I drain my battery I have a little bit of reserve power. Plus I have a string of LED lights (which are actually Christmas lights) that draw about 2 watts. My plan for dry camping is to set those up using the power box for exterior lighting.

It is a handy little device; but not designed for what Mike is thinking.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #7

Your right, I was hoping to sort of use one as a generator, rather than actually buying a generator...So, I will use the Deep Cycle battery attached to the unit and use this unit for re-charging the battery if need be... Sorry for sounding dense.
Mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Your right, I was hoping to sort of use one as a generator, rather than actually buying a generator...So, I will use the Deep Cycle battery attached to the unit and use this unit for re-charging the battery if need be... Sorry for sounding dense.
as far as i know, it won't "recharge" the battery. it's designed for starting batteries, not deep-cycle RV batteries.
it puts out CCS's(cold cranking amps)to start vehicles with dead batteries. it supplies the quick startup power needed to start the engine and then the alternator takes over.
i don't think it can transfer power needed to recharge a dead RV battery.
maybe to run a water pump a few times if you clamp onto the terminals.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #9

Quote:
So, I will use the Deep Cycle battery attached to the unit and use this unit for re-charging the battery if need be... Sorry for sounding dense.
First off- don't appoligize for the question. That's the one great thing about this forum; all questions are welcome.

Secondly, while I agree with bikendan that it will not recharge your deep cycle battery; I do think it will have some use. The battery in the Eliminator box has considerably fewer amp hours to it. Think of it like a gas tank; your deep cycle holds 100 litres and your Eliminator holds 22 litres. So while you cannot refill a 100 litre tank with a 22 litre jerry can; it does provide some reserve.

There will also be some loss along the way, so you won't get all of those 22 amp hours out. That is why I use it the way I do; to power items that may be unnessesary and/or a drain on power.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #10

In a popup, you have two lights, maybe three, right? In addition you have an occasional run of the water pump. I've done a LOT of camping in our old popup and a single charge on a healthy deep-cycle battery lasts quite a long time. We've camped for 4-6 days lots of time with plenty of reserve battery capacity left. The biggest consumer you probably have in your camper would be the furnace (fan). So unless you're camping in cold weather, you don't have much to worry about.

You might consider changing out your incandescent light bulbs to LEDs. You can get plug-n-play replacements pretty cheap on eBay. Search the forums for discussions on that topic. LEDs consume probably 1/10 of what an incandescent does.

By all means keep your portable "jump-start" unit handy as a backup. Also consider that in a pinch, you can do a little charging of your deep cycle with your tow vehicle. If you don't have the 7-way trailer plug with 12v line for charging, you can use a set of jumper cables. Using the tow vehicle is not the most efficient, but if you're in a bind it can help.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote