Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #1

pressure washing?

Is it a good idea or bad to use a pressure washer on aluminum sided TT.
I would assume I'd have to be careful around windows and caulked areas1

Anyone??
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #2

To each his own, but I wouldn't. I know a lot of folks that do with those little portable plug in jobs, but personally, I can't see HOW that could possibly be good for your seals or decals.

I like those extendable soft brushes you can hook up to your hose when water washing. You can control the water flow in order to keep your brush wet, but not a big water waster and it's gentle.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #3

I have used pressure washer but keep it back fron the surface because it will take the paint of any metal or wood for that matter. If I use it I put on the tip that makes a wide fan and then hold only close enough to rinse off. A pressure washer can eaisly take off your decals if held to close to them. So I say yes use it with lots of caution.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I use a 'pressure washer' to clean mine. I say it like that because it's not your usual pressure washer. This is a unit I bought over 10 years ago that was sold as a home car wash station. It came with the pressure washer, hose reels, vacuum/blow dryer... yada, yada, yada. If anyone remembers Canadian Tire carrying them back then, it was the one that mounted to a wall.

Well, technically it is a pressure washer, but it's pressure output is designed to be low enough to be 'automotive safe'. I've never measured it but I'd guess it's only 20-30 PSI stronger than the 'pressure wash' setting on our garden hose nozzle.

I figure that if it's safe for autos, it's safe for the RV, but that's the only one I'd consider using. I'd be scared to use the father in law's gas beast on this rig, but I do borrow his for the annual spring cleaning of the driveway's concrete.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've had the pressure washers used at the blue beacon on both my fiver and my aluminum sided tt. No damage yet but I tell them to be careful and stay back away from the window seals and caulking.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #6

not good unless you can dial the pressure down way low. You'll eat the finish off if you're lucky. Wrist tear into the material. Once the finish is gone the mold and dirt will dig in and you'll never get it clean again. I have one of those little electric jobbers and can get the wood to fly off my deck. Stick with elbow grease and a long handled brush

Tags
pressure