Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

Propane?

Instructions confuse me. Does this valve switch over automatically? We have used a lot of propane and it is still green on both sides? I have one tank shut off and it still shows green. How do I tell if I need propane? I have one tank shut off so when the one is entry I still have another tank, please help. I hope this pic shows up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	111095  
Stetay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #2

Propane?

I have the same thing. If both tanks are on, they both will show green. When one tank empty the gauge will turn red in the direction of the arrow on the knob of the empty tank.....to test turn only one tank on, and bleed the hose off on the off tank, the gauge will change colors...

The arrow on the gauge is your primary tank, When switch to that direction. If empty the gauge will switch to other tank automatically if 2nd tank is on, gauge will turn,red

Green means full....red means empty or off.

You have to bleed lines off to show red.

I hope I did not confuse you any more than I have.

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
I go RV'ing not Camping

The arrow points to the tank that you would like to use. If you leave the other tank closed it won't switch over. Once the first tank is empty and it switches over I believe it will turn red.

I am not sure if it turns red if the second tank is not open.

Hope that helps,
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

Hard to tell from that picture, but I don't think it switches automatically. Seems like you rotate it to point to the tank you're drawing from. As long as you have a full second tank, nothing to worry about --- just switch it when things stop lighting.

But, if you want to get an idea of how much you have left in a tank ---- tap on the side with a wrench. Move it up and down the tank ---- you'll note a different sound when you get to the liquid level. Or, when you're using propane just use your hand to feel down the side of the tank. The liquid will be colder. No method is fool proof -------
bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

It's a simple system that will switch to the pressure side of the tee. If both tanks are open and one is about to run out, the greater pressure side will deliver propane and the gauge will show red. The empty will be the one the tee's arrow is pointing too. This system worked great when we had pilot lights because then the tank runs low, you can smell it. But with today's systems with spark combustion, it requires one to actually look at the regulator tee once in a while.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #6

Cool

I am just amazed at how little propane we use.
Stetay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:54 PM   #7

I don't think it works like the fuel gauge in your car. Mine stays green until the primary bottle is almost empty before it starts to go red, something to do with the fact that the bottle holds pressure until it's close to empty is how it was explained to me.

You can tap on the side of a bottle and tell how full it is and on a hot humid day the bottles will sweat and you can how much propane is in them.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane