Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2008, 04:23 AM   #1

Propane Tanks and regulators

I was wondering if anyone has come across this situation, I have posted a pic of my propane regulator. If you look down directly between the tanks you will see a black plastic arrow pointing to the right tank, one would think that this is the tank that is being used, but it's not my regulator works in revers. In this position, the left tank is being used. Last Fall is the first time I had to deal with empty tanks while camping. It was our last camping trip of the season and we needed heat, so I removed the left tank and had it filled at the camp ground, after that I hooked everything back up and flip the arrow to the proper tank( the left one ) had no gas, so for the fun of it I flipped the arrow to the right tank and then I had gas flow, so I guess the regulator is installed backwards?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propane tank indicator.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	754  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:38 AM   #2

The arrow might be installed wrong. I don't know but alot of times knobs and such are splined onto a shaft. Remove the screw in the center, pull the arrow off and rotate it 180 degrees and reinstall. If that is not possible then I would cross the hoses. You might have to put longer hoses on to do that though.
Big_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #3

looks like the regulator is installed upside down and backwards.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has come across this situation, I have posted a pic of my propane regulator. If you look down directly between the tanks you will see a black plastic arrow pointing to the right tank, one would think that this is the tank that is being used, but it's not my regulator works in revers. In this position, the left tank is being used. Last Fall is the first time I had to deal with empty tanks while camping. It was our last camping trip of the season and we needed heat, so I removed the left tank and had it filled at the camp ground, after that I hooked everything back up and flip the arrow to the proper tank( the left one ) had no gas, so for the fun of it I flipped the arrow to the right tank and then I had gas flow, so I guess the regulator is installed backwards?
I think you have the same regulator I have. Your regulator is facing the rear and mine is facing foward. I don't know if you can see the red/green indicator with it facing the rear. If you can, you will see a green or red indicator in the center of the arrowed selector knob. If it is green, that means the tank it is pointing to has propane in it. If it is red, that means the tank is empty.

What I do is point the selector knob to the tank I know has propane in it. At this point, the selector knob indicator should be green. If it is not, then close and open tank valve slowly. When you use all the propane in that tank, the regulator automatically switches over to the other tank and the indicator turns red. When you see the indicator is red, then you manually switch selector knob to other tank. The other tank having propane in it turns the indicator green. You can now remove empty tank and refill it and the process can start over again, but with the other tank.

Walt
wboudx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #5

Thanks for the ideas, it all make sense. Thanks again!
Old 03-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Thanks for the ideas, it all make sense. Thanks again!
I just went out and looked at mine. You can turn everything around and have regulator facing forward.

Walt
Old 03-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #7

Thanks Wboudx, I wonder why it came from the factory like that, maybe it was a shift change and the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing...... I see it is a n easy fix and it won't effect any thing.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #8

if you turn it around it will still draw from the same tank . i had the same setup on my last camper and it worked like yours but it had a small arrow i mean smmaaalll arrow in center of the knob that points to the tank in use tank
Old 03-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #9

I dropped of my camper today at dealer for an A/C change out and showed them the regulator, he the service manager stood there and skratched his head, so I did the same. After posting this issue and with all the help from the members of this forum, I know what I need to do. Thanks for all your input, it will be corrected.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #10

[QUOTE][When you use all the propane in that tank, the regulator automatically switches over to the other tank and the indicator turns red. /QUOTE]

This may sound like a dumb post, as I'm sure all of us know this, but you have to have the valve on BOTH tanks in the open position in order for the automatic changeover to take place. I'd be willing to bet that somewhere out there in RV Land there is one person, out of the millions that read this forum, that wasn't aware of that little bit of knowledge. And I'd like to think I helped that one person.
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #11

[QUOTE=jmyers;13522]
Quote:
[When you use all the propane in that tank, the regulator automatically switches over to the other tank and the indicator turns red. /QUOTE]

This may sound like a dumb post, as I'm sure all of us know this, but you have to have the valve on BOTH tanks in the open position in order for the automatic changeover to take place. I'd be willing to bet that somewhere out there in RV Land there is one person, out of the millions that read this forum, that wasn't aware of that little bit of knowledge. And I'd like to think I helped that one person.
I'm on my first NEW TT and I am not aware of this. I do not recall being told this at time of purchase. I just got back from the week-end and left the TT at the dealer because I could not get gas from one tank. I had to change places with the tanks to get gas flow. Dealer says the gas line is bad. I will question the dealer when I pick up the TT. I used the TT last Nov. and needed heat but could not get gas from the same tank. Both tanks were full. Didn't give it any thought at the time. I guess the line was bad then. Will see what dealer has to say about all this.

Still learning
Mickey
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #12

mine looks like this also. the long selection lever points to the source bottle. when in middle draws from both. mine has a level full window, black full and red empty, dont know how well it works. i think weighing is probably best indicator for liquified gases like propane to tell the tank level. we dont really have scales on the tanks though. i normally use one to empty and changover, not the best idea since entraps air , but better than running out of gas totally if i draw from both bottles. If this works different than i have described please let me know a better way to know when to fill one bottle before running out so i know when to switch/ thanks
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #13

If the knob selector is facing the trailer, you may not be able to see red/green indicator.

If the knob selector is pointed to the left tank and the tank has propane in it, it shows green on the indicator. If the tank is empty, it shows red. The regulator will automatically swap tanks when the tank is empty. When you view the red/green indicator and it is red, then you can manually move knob to other tank. At this point you can refill left tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Selector Knob Indicator.jpg
Views:	2925
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	764

Above is what I know. What follows is what I think.

Close both tank valves. Let it set for 15 minutes, or open tank connection to release propane, or light stove to use all propane in lines.
At this point, the knob is pointing to left tank and indicator should be red. (Indicating tank is empty because valve is closed.)
Slowly open left tank valve only. Indicator should go from red to green. If it does not turn green then you may have a problem. Try closing and opening valve slowly again. If you open valve to fast, the regulator thinks you have a leak and turns off gas flow. If the tank has just been filled, it may be overfilled.

If it works ok, close both valves again then go to right tank and do the same thing.