Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #1

Propane vs. electricity

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or continue with the old one; so, as I thought that if I were to post on the old one it wouldn't get exposure and the question may not get answered, I opted to post a new question.

Anyway, so, as a recap, the model of the water heater is sw6de. If I have the switch set to "on" on the front panel of the hwh, that turns it on via electricity, right? If I turn that on, do I need to turn off the switch inside? That shuts off the propane to the hwh, right? Also, I guess my fear is that in the process of troubleshooting what was going on with the hwh in the first place, I burned out the heating element. So I'm not sure that it's going to work. Any way to test that other than waiting the supposed six to eight hours for it to heat if I'm using electricity?

TIA!
whisperwhillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #2

If you are testing electric shut off the gas switch. My tank heats up fully in just over an hour. It also makes a faint humming sound when heating up on electric.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #3

You should shut off your propane switch if your using electrical. but with that said you can run both at the same time for a faster recovery such as for showers. To check you heating element with out pulling it you can disconnect the two wires from it after you SHUT IT OFF. Then just ohm the the two terminals where the wires were connected. If you show a reading you are good if no reading that is bad and needs to be replaced. Hope that answers your question...You can use a multimeter on ohms or I like continuity the best, depending on your meter. Also you should have atleast warm water after an hour, where did this 6 to 8 hrs come from?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Switch outside is for electric.
Switch on the inside is for gas.

They both can can be used seperate or together for faster wh recovery during bath time.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperwhillow View Post
Also, I guess my fear is that in the process of troubleshooting what was going on with the hwh in the first place, I burned out the heating element.
Based on your post in the other thread, I'd say that's likely.

Quote:
This is the first of many, many posts asking for help. I thank you for your patience, knowledge and understanding.

I'm going on day three of no shower here because I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the hwh to work/light/heat the water.

My husband is in the Army and is going to be deployed, and my family and I are going to be staying in a 2014 Forest River Cherokee Toy Hauler, 377V, that we purchased from a private party. I have been camping literally twice in an RV, and that was as a child. I feel like I know nothing going into this, and that's very unnerving for me, but we're doing it to save money.

So here's the scoop on the hwh. From my research, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the d-e part of the model number means it can run off of electricity or propane, right? So I went to turn it on the hwh the other day, and since I don't know what to look for, I didn't realize that the rod wasn't in it. After much research, I discovered that I need a rod to hold the water in. I bought a rod, and then a day later discovered that I have to find a bypass knob. Finally found that as well.
That's probably what did it.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #6

Okay. Quick follow-up. I decided to risk it and turn the propane completely off and see if the water was still hot. We're going on day two, and the water is still how, so I'm assuming we're a "go" on the heating element being good!

Thank you for the insight and encouragement.
whisperwhillow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, propane