Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #1

QCC vs POL connectors

In his Furnace not working thread Jeff6146 asked if the amount of propane he used up to last night was normal. My answer is:

Maybe, I used 30 lbs over night during my last night at my 5er.

That night I discovered two additional problems. 1. Switch over valve failed. 2. According to my supplier my QCC connector is not closing completely to allow me to use the second tank and should be changed to the POL variety which requires a wrench to tighten properly.

#1. I suspected.

#2. This is a new one on me but then almost everything is. He referred to the connector as a granny connector because we older people do not have the grip capacity to close them fully.

Has anyone else heard of this?

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #2

QCC vs POL connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
In his Furnace not working thread Jeff6146 asked if the amount of propane he used up to last night was normal. My answer is:

Maybe, I used 30 lbs over night during my last night at my 5er.

That night I discovered two additional problems. 1. Switch over valve failed. 2. According to my supplier my QCC connector is not closing completely to allow me to use the second tank and should be changed to the POL variety which requires a wrench to tighten properly.

#1. I suspected.

#2. This is a new one on me but then almost everything is. He referred to the connector as a granny connector because we older people do not have the grip capacity to close them fully.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Ok, since there have been 65 views and no answers, I am guessing that I either provide too much info or not enough imagery.

This is the GCC type I am referring to: http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/i.../1177785_1.jpg

The POL connector:

https://www.etrailer.com/static/imag...bs_21_1000.jpg

I have not swapped tanks, yet but I have a custom built adapter in the cubby that is not providing propane that may be the issue. So that I can pull out the hose and connect to a 40 lb tank spare which works well.

Thanks.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #3

Not exactly sure what you are trying to do or why. Your regulator may have an issue if it will not switch over.

But we have owned 5 campers over the years and a full 30 lb bottle has always lasted close to a week running the furnace. Never just one day.

If you want to run another bottle an extend a stay kit is a good answer.

Some more detail may be helpful............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #4

QCC vs POL connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Not exactly sure what you are trying to do or why. Your regulator may have an issue if it will not switch over.

But we have owned 5 campers over the years and a full 30 lb bottle has always lasted close to a week running the furnace. Never just one day.

If you want to run another bottle an extend a stay kit is a good answer.

Some more detail may be helpful............

Fair enough.

I went to my 5er with the specific intent to finish running my 50 amp service and ensure it had power.

Having run out of propane, I took my two propane tanks (30 lb) in to be filled.

My third tank (40 lb) was on the RV keeping it warm. The temp was around 50 degrees. So my 40 lb tanks works so I am not in need (?) of an extended stay kit.

One tank was empty then brought up to 80% capacity, i.e., they filled it up.

At fill up I was told that the granny ( GCC ) adapter was faulty on the second tank since it was full and to bring it with the hose in to be swapped for a POL which required a wrench to fully tighten. According to the supplier this is a common problem with GCC’s.

I put both back in the RV and moved the 40 lb into storage as we were leaving without the 5er very early the next morning. We were expecting snow and it was in the low 40’s. The next AM, temps in the 30’s and the furnace was off, the tank was empty and had been so since about 3AM. DW wants inside temp set at 76 and with what I experienced we had used the entire tank overnight. No, the doors nor were the windows left open all night!

The swapover device did not again... swapover or maybe the tech at the supplier was right and the GCC is faulty. Maybe even the tank is faulty.

I do not know.

My question which I thought I asked clearly is: has anyone else run across this “Granny Grip” GCC adapter being commonly faulty such that it will stop the flow of propane from the tank to regulator?

Old 12-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #5

I have used the GCC type connectors in my private business and as well since 2010 in various RV's. Over the years I have changed out many whips with these connectors. It seems that they eventually do not allow sufficient gas to flow thru the whip. I have recently changed one in our 2016 Silverback. I do not know why this happens but it does seem to be a problem that does occur.

I have also used the standard connector that requires a wrench to tighten. When that failed I went back to the hand tighten style.

There were times I thought it was a bad valve on a tank, but switching tanks made no difference. Only after changing the whip did it flow correctly.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #6

QCC vs POL connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
I have used the GCC type connectors in my private business and as well since 2010 in various RV's. Over the years I have changed out many whips with these connectors. It seems that they eventually do not allow sufficient gas to flow thru the whip. I have recently changed one in our 2016 Silverback. I do not know why this happens but it does seem to be a problem that does occur.

I have also used the standard connector that requires a wrench to tighten. When that failed I went back to the hand tighten style.

There were times I thought it was a bad valve on a tank, but switching tanks made no difference. Only after changing the whip did it flow correctly.

Thank you!!!! I have reason to believe the supplier is right.

FYI, my 5er is away and I am planning repairs.

So Very Big Grin, I am back to...

When I get back to the unit.

Step A. Swap 30 lb tanks to eliminate the tank. (Left tank to right) given if one is bad in a position, it will be bad in the opposite position.

[Keeping in mind that since I am not normally swapping tanks each time, just refilling, I may keep the problem tank in the same position. Maybe. Probably but then... not very likely so the tanks themselves are also suspect.]

Maybe... how many time have I refilled both tanks at the same time.

By the same token, a faulty GCC probably will not work on another tank unless the two tanks have the same fault. Not likely well unless the Previous Owner swapped them every time ensuring that they fail the same way at the same time. Not likely in my mind.

Step B. With the opposite tank off and the line drained, Make a hose with the new POL connector to verify a bad GCC, I.E., disconnect from the regulator and tank and re-connect both. If I get gas flow, good. Check switch over to verify it changes tanks.

If not, replace switch over device.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
D W

Not following this story at all. First of all, those auto switch-over devices are notorious for not switching over 50% of the time. They are cheap-mass produced Chinese garbage. Second, you speak of the GCC (Gas Convenience Connector) "adapter"? What "adapter" are you talking about? There is no adapter. You have the connector (attached to the regulator), and that attaches to the valve on the cylinder. Since the introduction of the OPD all propane cylinder valves are dual faceted. External threads for the GCC, and internal threads for the POL connector. Both connectors do the same thing when tightened. They open the flow valve in cylinder valve to let gas flow.

Now, if you have one cylinder that is empty, then gas is flowing somewhere, so that valve and connector obviously is functional. If you went through an entire 30# cylinder overnight then you either have a furnace in need of repairs, or you have a leak somewhere. With the other cylinder remaining full, either the switch-over device isn't functioning, or the OPD in that cylinder is stuck in the closed position.

Before I would start throwing hoses at it I would use the process of putting the full cylinder in the location of the last empty cylinder, and work from there.

Since the early '90's I have had numerous patio heaters, bbq grills, camp stoves and turkey fryers with the GCC connectors. Never had that "common" problem your gas man spoke of.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I've had a few instances (not R/V related) where the GCC connector didn't allow flow no matter how hard I tried to tighten by hand. I originally thought it to be the tank as it would work on some but not others. I finally changed the whips and wa-la... no more issues.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I've had a few instances (not R/V related) where the GCC connector didn't allow flow no matter how hard I tried to tighten by hand. I originally thought it to be the tank as it would work on some but not others. I finally changed the whips and wa-la... no more issues.
Granted. With any product there is bound to be some defects. There must be millions of these connectors in circulation. I myself in nearly 30 years have yet to have a bad GCC. Until today I had never heard of bad ones. What throws a red flag to me is, where is all the OP's propane going?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #10

QCC vs POL connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Granted. With any product there is bound to be some defects. There must be millions of these connectors in circulation. I myself in nearly 30 years have yet to have a bad GCC. Until today I had never heard of bad ones. What throws a red flag to me is, where is all the OP's propane going?

Well, since the subject tank was off and the fitting in question was connected to it, good question.

The tank in use was drained, AFAIK, since the furnace was shut down from the prior night. It cycled repeatedly during the night but the 5er was in the 50’s in the AM as we rolled down the mountain away from it.

We can not even begin to solve this since I, the OP, am 1200 plus miles away until mid March/early April.

Up until departure, the furnace/unit was using a tank every couple of weeks.

Thanks for responding. In my mind, I am problem solving because

1. Being a newbie, I had never heard the term granny connector nor suspected that one could go bad to the point that it would not let the gas out.

2. Better to be prepared when I get back so that I do not have to look at a stone cold rig that has little hope of reaching the DW’s desired operating environment.

If it is possible to brainstorm possible causes of such a thing, super. Since I did not check the fuel level... maybe the furnace/thermostat malfunctioned and the unit is ready for me to reset and the world will be wonderful again.

Assuming I did a passable job of winterizing...

A tree did not fall on it...

The new gravel pad didn’t erode away from the stabilizer jacks and it rolled off the 3.5 ft build up.

The creek doesn’t rise and it becomes the new Noah’s ark! There is a creek that runs into Lake Roosevelt about 7 miles and 500 feet away.

I need to take a break!