Old 04-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #1

Questions about leaving RV on permanent site

Hello all,
I have a 2008 Wildcat 28RK that I keep on a piece of property in WV that we use mainly on weekends and holidays. Last year we averaged going to our RV every other weekend. We have electric service, water and our own septic tank. Last year I would completely shut down the RV after every trip (i.e. empty tanks, cut breakers off at the power pole, stow the electric cord, disconnect the battery and slide in the slide). This year I was hoping I could get away with leaving the electric on to the RV and keep the slide out but still disconnect the water. Does anyone see any issues with me doing this? I would like to leave the fridge (Dometic DM2652) on while we're away but I'm worried about risk of fire. Also with this set-up is it necessary for me leave the galley and grey tanks closed or could I leave them open and drain to the septic tank? I understand to not do that with the blank tank. My mother in law lives within eyesight of our property and RV. All answers are appreciated.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #2

I would continue as you have been because of the fire risk as well as the possibility of theft of the power cord.

Does the black tank have a flushing system?
If it does then you could leave the gray open and flush the hose with water from the black tank system.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #3

My camper is set up permanently in a well-monitored small campground. I visit it about the same as you do yours. I always leave my power on to keep the refrig running. I do however turn off the water heater switch and turn the water off at the hydrant. After turning off the water I open a faucet long enough to release the pressure inside the camper - then close it back.

While I'm there I leave the black and gray tanks closed and empty them when I leave. I leave them closed when I'm not there.

In the winter I winterize and leave it that way although I do occasionally visit. There is a bathroom/shower facility at the campground that is open year round.

I keep everything buttoned up as securely as I can and hope for the best. I'm beginning my second year with no problems so far.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #4

My camper is on a permanent site too. I leave it plugged in when I leave, turn off water heater, furnace(air), water and fridge. I usually empty the fridge when I go home, (200 miles away), but where I'm at I never worry about things growing legs, he'll I've even left beer on my deck and it still there when I go back. I guess them up north Busch light drinkers don't like MGD!
Old 04-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
NELA

Have any of you with campers on permanent sites ever installed security systems?

Ours is in the back yard, always on shore power, with cameras from our home security system (and flood lights) directed on it. But, I've been giving some thought to some sort of portable (since it's going to be coming and going) security system for it.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #6

I installed one, cameras, Uniden Guardian G755. Wireless-works well, range around 200ft. Also got some stickers that say "smile, you're on a camera".
Since that day, i stopped missing tomatoes and green onions
Old 04-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Have any of you with campers on permanent sites ever installed security systems?

Ours is in the back yard, always on shore power, with cameras from our home security system (and flood lights) directed on it. But, I've been giving some thought to some sort of portable (since it's going to be coming and going) security system for it.
You can get replacement scare lights with an motion detector eye on them. They are alright, but are a pain when they go on in a cg when a car goes by in the road. I've never tried adjusting mine and don't know if they can be.