Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #1

R factor Crazy

We are looking at upgrading from our TT to a fifth wheel. Our TT was our first purchase for camping and we have enjoyed it very much. When we purchase the TT we were told all of the great features and that it had a four season package. We were told this would allow year round camping and I assume some of the item such as heated tanks and underbelly heating is great but, I found the living area to be less than comfortable at times during the winter and the area inside the slides to be cold. The R ratings for my unit are R7 sidewall R12 floor and R14 roof. Now that I have been doing this for a couple of years I plan to pay closer attention to this on my next purchase.

We plan to use the new fifth wheel year round and hopefully in a couple of years we may be full timing it. The issue I have regarding the R factors has to do with the material, solid blocks of foam to a 30 rating with foil coating to increase it to a 40, or batten, foam foil to a R54 total...but then theres the sales pitch on how one is better that the other and one will cause moisture and the other one will not. It crazy and confusing. The one common area I have noticed is the small R factors are consistent in the slides and windows.

The windows and inside the cabins of my TT are always wet during the winter when the furnace is going. Hot air meets cold surface...moisture, our worst enemy in the RV.

Any guidance or suggestions on the R Factor for my new unit are appreciated.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Granny Frog

You are not alone. I am totally confused also. We have a 2013 Rockwood Mini-Lite that we absolutely love except for the moisture. If it is cold at night, even with opening all of our closets and cabinets, everything is still all wet. Especially the hanging clothes that are close to the outside walls. We are trying to decide between upgrading to either a Cedar Creek or Cardinal which have pretty much the same R ratings (roof, floor & sidewalls). We also like the Blue Ridge which is very similar at a lower cost but need to check out the R ratings on it. Good Luck and thanks for starting this thread.

2013 Sierra Denali 2500 4WD Crew Cab

Fulltimers since 6/5/13
ksjerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #3

Ksjerram, I know you will think this is crazy but I had someone tell me to open my roof vents about halfway when operating the gas heater and it will reduce the moister...guess what, it worked some but, inside the cabinets and closet remain very moist.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #4

I suspect you did not get a True 4 season RV. 2013 Cedar creek advertises sidewalls (9), Floors (38), Roof (38). You also want double pane windows.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #5

Yes, sidewalls with 9 unless there is a window or a slide. The Primetime by FR shows up to 54+ in some areas. They use batten, foam and foil.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #6

The key is in the windows. Don't waste extra money on r-50 walls. The bulk of your heat transfer is thru the windows. Even a standard double pane window is only r-2.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #7

We ordered our Sabre with double pane windows and they do make a difference.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #8

wiscampsin, how much more were the double windows
Old 02-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #9

That is one good reason to chase 75 degrees and not get to cold!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #10

I like the way you think...