Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #1

Range Vent Quit Working

Was boiling corn on the stove and the vent fan quit. Heat warped the plastic damper and it fell off. Light still works so I know power is getting to the range hood. It is a Ventline one speed range hood Model PH series. Any ideas as to cause? The two-speed fan comes with a resistor that can go, but parts layout for the one-speed doesn't indicate one.
Ancha71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
There is a thermal fuse on the motor, most likely this has opened up causing the fan motor to quit.
I replaced my whole fan motor box, light with one from

Fabulous Operating Products

Home

It costs a bit but is quiet, the LED lighting is bright and fan has 3 speeds.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #3

Blown Fuse

We had the same problem with our stove vent fan on our 2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS which I think is the same layout as your Rockwood. I forgot to release the travel clamp on the exterior vent flap when we set up our cottage (we don't move the unit). My wife was cooking inside with the fan going but with the vent closed the air could not go outside. The stove hood quickly got very hot and after a few minutes the fan stopped (yet the light still worked). I later took the inside cover off the wiring and found a tiny fuse that was blown. I replaced the tiny in-line fuse with a bayonet fuse (easier to find to replace if needed in future) and holder wire. Fan works fine now. I think one problem with our model TT is that with the couch, fridge, and stove on the slide the microwave and stove hood need to be mounted lower. This lower clearance causes the hood to heat more from the gas stove than on a higher clearance model that my son has. Hope this helps.
Randy and Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #4

Thank you. What amperage fuse is in there? I noticed the flap must have fallen off between home and the campground. Hope I can purchase just a flap and not have to replace the entire enclosure. I agree with your comment about the clearances.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #5

Fuse size

Good evening;
I used a 15 amp fuse as the original was labelled 15A.

I have my doubts if you can buy just the flap but suggest you try Loews or Home Depot for the complete housing. I'm sure they would be cheaper than an rv dealer. Another thought would be to ask around if any friends have an unused vent from a microwave. Many come with a metal vent frame that have a flap plate inside. These vents often don't get installed if there is no outside wall cutout to flow through. Most often people direct the air back into the kitchen and throw the vent away. The metal flap may fit into the plastic housing on your tt???????

Good luck
Randy and Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:59 AM   #6
Owner/Operator

The small silver bullet shaped device taped to the side of the Range Hood Vent Motor is not a fuse, it is a Thermal Overload Device. It opens when the temperature exceed what is stamped on the Device.

When mine opened, I called the Range Hood Manufacturer and was told that the Thermal Overload is not available as a replacement part. The entire motor must be ordered.

I was also told that the Thermal Overload is not required on RVs sold in the USA, but is required on RVs sold in Canada. I guess FR uses the Canada version on all their RVs to reduce part inventory count.

The Vent manufacturer recommended that I just bypass the Thermal Overload. The 12V power source is protected by a fuse in the Power Panel, so no additional fuse is required.

I researched the Part Number (SF96E SEFUSE SF/E SF96E THERMAL FUSE) and found it available on eBay for $2, so ordered one and replaced it.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #7

B&B,
Randy& Diane,
Rodeo George,
Thanks for the great tips. I can't get to it until this weekend. Will let you know how things went.
Finding a flapper might be a chore.
-Ancha71-
Old 08-27-2014, 05:06 AM   #8

I built my own flap from a piece of thin sheet metal and used a coat hanger wire for the rod. Bends easily to insert back in. Has held for over 5 years now.

Tags
vent