Old 06-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #1

rear view camera

2005 Lexington 255DS

I've kinda sorta screwed up.... I ordered, and received, the highly rated Auto Vox X2 camera/monitor and have now realized that it has to be hardwired from the camera to the monitor... I thought it was wireless....

now, moving on, I know that a hardwired system is going to be better than a wireless, but I want to be able to mount it high enough that I can see behind a TOAD if necessary; not to the license plate.

I DON"T want to drill holes if I can avoid it and would consider mounting it high up below the center top red clearance/tail light light and running the leads through that light opening, OR mounting it high inside on the rear window using mounting tape and running the wires God only knows where, hidden to best ability, OR maybe on the side of the ladder with the wires running to/through the nearest red light.

in either case I don't know where and how to run the wires from there... are there wire chases that can be accessed to fish the wires through? or clear paths to under the chassis, or....

help will definitely be appreciated before Bubba (me) takes over and does what he does best (not always the best thing to do...)

Bill

2005gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #2

I've figured it out.., it's done....

Bill

Old 06-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #3

How did you end up pulling the wires? Wanted to pull some meter wiring but don't see any clean way to do so...
We solved the backup cam issue with a wireless Furrion.
JRBME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBME View Post
How did you end up pulling the wires? Wanted to pull some meter wiring but don't see any clean way to do so...
We solved the backup cam issue with a wireless Furrion.
it depends on what you are pulling and to where and from....

I had to go from above the rear view mirror in the interior (for the new rear view mirror) to about the top center of the rear cap (for the location of the new camera)... once underneath the route was as simple (an understatement..) as following convenient wire bundles and metal lines and attaching the cable with beaucoup tie wraps.

I already have installed a wireless Auto Vox backup camera, mounted low on the license plate frame which, if it was powered full time instead of just reverse, would have provided an excellent rear view. BUT I wanted a full time rear view to replace the OEM reflective mirror (which is only just about useful for checking to see if someone is laying in the bed...) and I found the Auto Vox X2 (which I belatedly found needed to be wired) which has a LARGE full sized/full screen (10") monitor that attaches to the standard mirror (also found out the 11" Ford mirror was too long to mount the Auto Vox over so I had to get a 8" replacement; no problem, just annoying...). I also wanted to mount it high to see over a toad (so I have both camera systems functional now..., each with its own purpose)

And, I didn't want to drill any holes in the MH... (and didn't... )

what else can I help you with? generically the wire run was 'easy', specifically it gets complicated depending on ones situation.

Bill

Sorry pix are sideways, AND the mirror/ monitor has been prettied up. 😊
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64F789BA-9279-4873-826E-E871ABE162D7.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	207880   Click image for larger version

Name:	746E0AD4-B24F-4581-A4A6-39E2CA11AB41.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	207881  
Old 06-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005gts View Post
it depends on what you are pulling and to where and from....

I had to go from above the rear view mirror in the interior (for the new rear view mirror) to about the top center of the rear cap (for the location of the new camera)... once underneath the route was as simple (an understatement..) as following convenient wire bundles and metal lines and attaching the cable with beaucoup tie wraps.

I already have installed a wireless Auto Vox backup camera, mounted low on the license plate frame which, if it was powered full time instead of just reverse, would have provided an excellent rear view. BUT I wanted a full time rear view to replace the OEM reflective mirror (which is only just about useful for checking to see if someone is laying in the bed...) and I found the Auto Vox X2 (which I belatedly found needed to be wired) which has a LARGE full sized/full screen (10") monitor that attaches to the standard mirror (also found out the 11" Ford mirror was too long to mount the Auto Vox over so I had to get a 8" replacement; no problem, just annoying...). I also wanted to mount it high to see over a toad (so I have both camera systems functional now..., each with its own purpose)

And, I didn't want to drill any holes in the MH... (and didn't... )

what else can I help you with? generically the wire run was 'easy', specifically it gets complicated depending on ones situation.

Bill

Sorry pix are sideways, AND the mirror/ monitor has been prettied up.
I see what you've done. My situation is different as I'm working with a Vengeance Rogue 31V. There ain't no "underside"
..I suppose there is, but it's pretty well sealed up. I wanted to install a 12v shunt for an ammeter. But the grounds are tapped into the frame beneath every cabinet...bath, kitchen sink and infinitum. However, problem resolved. Bought a hall effect toroid and dropped it onto the B+ in the WFCO and mounted the meter in there. Came out nice.
Re your pics being sideways...if using Android smartphone for camera, turn the phone onto the left side and it'll justify. I went thru that with some websites when using my Galaxy S9+. A faulty bit of camera software if I might suggest. Rotating before attaching didn't help. Only left side panorama works.
Thanks for the info! JR
JRBME is offline   Reply With Quote