Old 08-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Reese Brake Control

I have a 2008 Georgetown with a Reese Brakeman Brake Control. This weekend I pushed the manual slide on the brake control while parked in front of my house. I noticed a puff of smoke underneath the steering column. I immediately shut off the engine. I discovered that the wire that the brake control was spiled into (the harness near the brake pedal) had all the insulation burned off. I opened the coil wrap and wound electrical tape on the six or so inches of bare wire that was exposed. The brake control still works as does all the lights etc. I didn't touch the manual slide as this is what caused the short. I was surprised that a fuse wasn't blown before the insulation burned.
Does anyone know what could cause this? I checked the installation manual and it appears it was wired properly. The control has worked and still is working. I plan to buy a new brake control; but am concerned that something else could be wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
Head Rambler
The manual engage lever (slide) does the same thing as pressing the brake pedal does. It applies voltage to the brake magnets. Sounds like you have a wiring issue. Here is how it should be wired

If they spliced into a smaller wire for the brake power there's your problem. Applying full power to to brakes with the manual engage lever overloaded the wiring burning the insulation off it. You need to consider having that fixed.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Reese Brake Control

Thanks for the wiring diagram. I bought a new controller (not a Reese) and installed it today. This controller has a digital readout and gives error codes in case of a short etc. I think you hit the nail on the head about the red wire from the controller being spliced into a smaller wire on the brake pedal wiring(overloading the wire). I tested the new controller and so far so good.
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote

brake control, brakes