Old 09-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #1

Refrigerator draws down battery

I have a residential refrigerator w/ an inventor in my 2015 Vengeance . According to the dealer
I can run the refrigerator while traveling because the batteries are charging off the 7-way . I have lost two batteries in two months. I am told the inventor shuts off the refrigerator when batteries get low. The dealer has replaced one battery and now they tell me the other one is bad as well. Does anybody else think this inventor could be bad?

Old 09-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
Head Rambler

The inverter will shut down when it senses low voltage on the input side. If you have bad batteries then that will cause the inverter to shut down. I doubt the inverter is at fault.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #3

The batteries that come on these RV's are terrible. Please go get the best battery that you can which will cost a lot but will be totally worth it in the future.

Good luck and safe traveling.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Make sure you have +12V on the 7 way. Many new vehicles come with the 7 way but the fuse and relay ( if used) is not installed in the fuse block. Some vehicles put these items in the glove box. Check the manual for the position of the +12V trailer Aux and look for a fuse and relay.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:54 AM   #5

Which model Vengeance do you have I might have a question for you
Old 09-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXL360-2015 View Post
The batteries that come on these RV's are terrible. Please go get the best battery that you can which will cost a lot but will be totally worth it in the future.

Good luck and safe traveling.
That was the first thing I did. Remove the terrible Interstate and installed a Sears PM1 AGM group 31. Tons of RC and maintenance free.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #7

The first thing you need to do is to verify that your TV is charging the trailer battery. Hook up and turn off the TV ignition. Measure the TT battery voltage at the battery with a digital meter that shows two digits to the right of the decimal point (ie 12.05V). Harbor Freight frequently gives these away with any purchase if you have a coupon for the meter.

Start the TV engine and measure the battery voltage at the TT again. It should show over 13V, possibly up to 14.1V. If there's no change from when the TV was shut off, then you're not charaging the TT battery from the TV. Follow the previous posts' recommendations to figure out why.

Your residential fridge will probably draw 25A or more from the batteries when it's cooling, usually around 40% - 60% of the time depending on how often you open the door and how hot it is. 200A of 12V batteries will give you 4 hours of cooling before you draw a fully charged pair of 100AH batteries down to the 50% mark, the minimum charge you want to have left when you start recharging if you want maximum battery life.

Residential fridges are a great option but they do have their drawbacks for dry camping.

Phil
Old 10-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #8

It sounds like you're not getting 12V at the 7 way plug. My 5th wheel came with a cheap battery and wouldn't keep the fridge running for long without being charged. As long as it was plugged into the truck the fridge kept working during the 6 to 8 hours between stops.

Tags
battery, refrigerator