Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #1

Refrigerator freezes.

Our 2003 Windsong353 Domestic refrigerator works but freezes refrigerator compartment. What troubleshooting tips should we use? We took in to shop once they made adjustment worked for a while and we had recall part installed for safety. Thankx, Joe
joethemailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:26 AM   #2

If u want to remove the ice fast I use use a hair dryer. Maybe 5 minutes total. Mine will take different amount of time to get bad. I don't know about auto defrost. I just assume condensation from leftovers and humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:15 AM   #3

Is this RV new to you? Did the refrigerator work properly before now or has this become a problem recently?

Is the problem frost building up on the refrigerator compartment fins, or is the problem the refrigerator is too cold and is freezing the food?

Not knowing your experience, I'll suggest the following. Pardon me if you already know this.

If the fins are getting covered by frost, you may be having a normal condition. The refrigerator is not self-defrosting. Unless the refrigerator compartment is staying below freezing, the frost on the fins should melt off in an hour or so if you turn it off. The cooling system keeps the fins below freezing to cool the compartment, but when it's off for a while the compartment temperature will defrost the fins. When we are on the road, I have to defrost the freezing compartment about once per month.

You may have already tried this, but if it is freezing the food, but be sure the thermistor is on the fin that it closest to the right side. That fin gets the most accurate temperature reading. Slide it down to reduce the cooling amount (increase the refrigerator temperature).

You can search this forum with the phrase refrigerator freezing and find several threads about it. Here's one:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ved-30168.html
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

When we first got our RV we had a lot of condensate and ice forming on the inside coils "evaporator", added a duel fan to the coil and eliminated the problem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	evap fan.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	67513
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Freezing bottom

You should check the fins in the fridge compartment. On the right hand side of the fins there is a sensor that regulates the temp. If the sensor is bad or has come off the fin, it will not regulate the temp. The sensor is very easy to replace. Most RV stores carries the sensor.

Good luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator