Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #1

Refrigerator issues grey wolf 29te

The refrigerator in our 2018 grey wolf 29te quit working on July 15th we took it to the certified dealer where we purchased TT 11 months ago brand new on July 30th. They informed me on Friday that was just a drop off date not an actual repair appointment and they just got it into service. Yesterday when I called for a status update they told me it was a bad control board and had to order one from Forest River. They tell me that it is standard practice for repairs to rvs to take 4-6 weeks. And that Forest River is slow getting them parts. My question for all of you is this really standard practice or is this dealership just giving us the runaround?
ljbowser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They are blowing smoke up you bum. Some parts may take while to get to a dealer for one reason or another, but a control board can be mailed. What does seem to be common practice is for dealerships to put off doing any service work, as they are preparing new units for delivery. They fit in service units when possible. Not to say this goes for every dealer, but if it was a new unit and they were waiting on a control board to make delivery, you would have it in a couple days if not sooner.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
Commercial Member

ljbowser75,

We are sorry to hear of your less than favorable experience with a dealer. We encourage you to contact Sabrina Shannon in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...06837718398616.

Please use this personalized and direct link to outline your concerns in order that Sabrina may identify a solution and respond within 24 hours.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #4

Update

So I just received a call from owner of dealership’s personal assistant and she said our parts are ordered & being rushed to be delivered tomorrow. I guess yelling at someone is better than being pushed around and treated like you’re stupid. But I won’t be happy until they call & day it’s done. I forget to mention that I specifically told them we are leaving Saturday for 12 days camping in Tennessee.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
Site Team

I'm glad you got faster service. We continually hear that the dealer says things are on order from the mfg. When the truth comes out it was never ordered even remotely close to when the dealer said it was.

In all repair cases the owner needs to learn to contact the dealer and then contact their RV's division to ensure parts are actually ordered.

Hopefully yours will be fixed in a couple of days and you'll be happily camping!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

Angry Boyers Rv

So my husband just got a call from Boyers RV in Erie PA it seems our parts that were to be there by noon today have been delayed and our camper will not be ready by the pickup date they gave us. To compensate us so we can go on our vacation they are supplying us with a mini fridge. Then we will have to take our camper back to them when we return. This is ridiculous and I can guarantee you when this is over I will never step foot on their lot again. We’re talking about a camper that is 1 year old. We owned a 1999 TT before this & never had an issue.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Seems there's been some mis-communication on both sides.
Having a drop off date that wasn't an actual service date is rather silly if you ask me?
Why would they want the R/V sitting around on their lot if the plan wasn't to get to it until a week or so later? Anyway... can't change that now.

Regardless, crap happens and somewhere along the way plenty happened so take it with a grain of salt, learn that you need to better communicate and get solid answers, take the mini-fridge and have a good time.

Camping shouldn't be so stressful.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:41 PM   #8

now, i'd never admit to this but would it be possible to take a control board off the refrigerator in a unit just sitting on the lot and install it on yours?
Old 08-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
now, i'd never admit to this but would it be possible to take a control board off the refrigerator in a unit just sitting on the lot and install it on yours?
Sure it's possible.
Our dealer did just this for my brother when they had a refrigerator issue and were headed out in a day or two.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #10

Do not believe the sDealer... The 'buttons' on the control boards do 'stick' from dust and debris... ect. There is most likely nothing wrong with it that cleaning the button area would not fix. I took control board off a couple of times and cleaned the buttons up with alcohol and air/blowing. the part can also be ordered on Amazon fairly cheaply.

Warranty... yes, but .... sometimes it is better to fix it yourself.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbowser75 View Post
So my husband just got a call from Boyers RV in Erie PA it seems our parts that were to be there by noon today have been delayed and our camper will not be ready by the pickup date they gave us. To compensate us so we can go on our vacation they are supplying us with a mini fridge. Then we will have to take our camper back to them when we return. This is ridiculous and I can guarantee you when this is over I will never step foot on their lot again. We’re talking about a camper that is 1 year old. We owned a 1999 TT before this & never had an issue.
If you get to keep the Mini Fridge after all is said and done it may not be such a bad deal.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #12

Do what the BOT said...call shannon at FR and get preautorization for a mobile tech to fix your issue. They can come to your house or your campsite (ask the CG host for a repair tech).

Go one step further and order a dinosaur board for the mobile tech to install where you are going.

Always do this for warrenty work and you will be much happier. A bit more planning up front but less phone calls aggravation and loss of use this way than the dealer you are trying to use.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #13

Here is a fact that ever RV owner should be aware of, Forest River or any other RV manufacturer only builds the frame and the box(floor, roof & walls) of your unit. Ever thing else is manufactured by someone else, and all of those manufacturers have their own warranties. I purchased a new Prime Time Crusader Lite in October of 2015, 2016 model year. To this day(August 7, 2019), my 5th wheel has not been back to the dealer for anything. It has been to a independent RV repair facility, that only deals with repair of RV's. They do not sell RV's of any kind, only repairs them. So their excellent work and quick turn times dictate their bread & butter, the owners are well aware of that fact. So what I am telling you is this, if you want to continue getting shoddy maintenance performed and having to do without your RV for months on end, by all means do not allow me to get in your way while your rushing to your RV dealer. However if you want excellent repairs and quick turn times, I suggest you find yourself a independent RV repair facility that can do warranty work and is interested in fixing your unit in a fast manner. Have a nice day & a better tomorrow.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #14

I agree with the idea of having a look yourself to see if you can possible repair it, and there seems to be quite a bit of knowledge and help in the form of Youtube videos that you can watch before even taking the outside cover off your fridge.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #15

My daughter and son in law borrowed the 2019 Forest River Wolfpack 325pack13 toyhauler about a month ago and the awning broke in their campground. A repairman had to be called and couldn't fix it because a gear broke inside. I called our local dealer 1 1/2 hours away and they made an appointment for August 21st and they said it is for a check to see if Forest River will warranty the part and that it might take 6-8 weeks for the part to come in and then we could bring the RV back for repair then. They also told us that because we did not purchase from them that any extra time required for the fix we were responsible for the added cost ourselves. The repairman that had checked the awning put the part number on the invoice and I looked the awning company up online and put in a warranty claim with it and they gave me the option of fixing it myself. I received the part took it apart and fixed it myself. Took about 1/2 hour and it works good as new. Better than being without the camper all summer.
hollypup38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:10 AM   #16

Not the frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
Here is a fact that ever RV owner should be aware of, Forest River or any other RV manufacturer only builds the frame and the box(floor, roof & walls) of your unit. Ever thing else is manufactured by someone else, and all of those manufacturers have their own warranties. I purchased a new Prime Time Crusader Lite in October of 2015, 2016 model year. To this day(August 7, 2019), my 5th wheel has not been back to the dealer for anything. It has been to a independent RV repair facility, that only deals with repair of RV's. They do not sell RV's of any kind, only repairs them. So their excellent work and quick turn times dictate their bread & butter, the owners are well aware of that fact. So what I am telling you is this, if you want to continue getting shoddy maintenance performed and having to do without your RV for months on end, by all means do not allow me to get in your way while your rushing to your RV dealer. However if you want excellent repairs and quick turn times, I suggest you find yourself a independent RV repair facility that can do warranty work and is interested in fixing your unit in a fast manner. Have a nice day & a better tomorrow.
Not the frame. Forest River buys those from Lippert. And it's Lippert you will call when axle bearings or brakes fail under warranty or spring hangers fall off due to sloppy welding (even after the warranty period ends).
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
The BEST advice on this entire thread.

A close second was the purchase of a Dinosaur board. MUCH better made than factory boards!

Before you say it was "Under Warranty" was all those WEEKS of aggravation with the $100 for the board? To me the answer is a resounding NO!

For $100 and 20 minutes you would have been on your merry way.............minus all the headache and worry!
Old 08-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #18

With regards to the comment posted by Forest River:

I had purchased a brand new Forest River Charleston DP in 2014. Used it for the summer, and created a punch list of things that needed to be repaired. Made an appointment at the authorized dealer for August to address issues. Dealer kept my coach and seemed to be breaking more things than they were fixing. Long story... But, when it was approaching the end of February, and no real progress had been made, I was desperate for a solution. Out of total desperation, I called the Forest River Diesel factory...

I wasn't expecting too much at the time, but I tell you those folks stepped up to the plate and got me taken care of! Within 2 weeks, my coach was totally fixed and I was on the road! They were a fantastic bunch of folks to work with.

So, give FR a call - you never know what they can do till you ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_FR View Post
ljbowser75,

We are sorry to hear of your less than favorable experience with a dealer. We encourage you to contact Sabrina Shannon in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...06837718398616.

Please use this personalized and direct link to outline your concerns in order that Sabrina may identify a solution and respond within 24 hours.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckabrahamson View Post
With regards to the comment posted by Forest River:

I had purchased a brand new Forest River Charleston DP in 2014. Used it for the summer, and created a punch list of things that needed to be repaired. Made an appointment at the authorized dealer for August to address issues. Dealer kept my coach and seemed to be breaking more things than they were fixing. Long story... But, when it was approaching the end of February, and no real progress had been made, I was desperate for a solution. Out of total desperation, I called the Forest River Diesel factory...

I wasn't expecting too much at the time, but I tell you those folks stepped up to the plate and got me taken care of! Within 2 weeks, my coach was totally fixed and I was on the road! They were a fantastic bunch of folks to work with.

So, give FR a call - you never know what they can do till you ask!

I had called FR and Lippert about several issues over the years....
Never a good experience.

Do not and never will fully trust either company.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey wolf, refrigerator