Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #1

Refrigerator Virgin

We have just started using our 2010 Sabre in hotter weather this month and find the frig seems to struggle to stay cold when that side is facing the sun. Is this to be expected?

I saw a rig today in a park where the owner has taken a small window fan and installed it in place of the lower vent panel. It is a real neat solution if this is a common concern.

My unit is a Dometic 7 cubic foot, two door model (not subject to the recall as far as I can tell).
poodlepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlepeople View Post
(we) find the frig seems to struggle to stay cold when that side is facing the sun. Is this to be expected?
Yes, it is to be expected. All camper 'fridges efficiency can be improved by circulation fans inside the 'fridge and outside in the 'chimney'

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #3

Thanks. Now I guess I need to find out the best way to improve the circulation. I am going to introduce myself to the guy down the way who mounted the window fan on his unit. This also explains why we never have a problem when we are moving.
poodlepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #4

I've used one of these for several years. I don't know how much it helped, but I camped last weekend when temps reached 102 and everything stayed cold.

FRIDGE AIRATOR - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:34 AM   #5

We have a refrigerator facing our door. So every time the sun was shining and it was on our door, we close it because my parents told us that our refrigerator can hardly cool the water inside if it can attach the sun.
candyjob34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #6

I believe Camping World sells a replacement fridge vent cover for the roof. It has a built in solar panel that operates a small DC fan to improve circulation and increase efficiency. Not sure how well it works, but this may help your situation as well. Search under refrigerator appliance or roof vent accessories.

Report back to us to let us know your final resolution. Take care.

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #7

I recommend this gent. Quick shipping and good product.

DOMETIC NORCOLD REFRIGERATOR FAN FOR RV 12 VOLT: eBay Motors (item 250677760674 end time Sep-03-10 15:37:30 PDT)
Mowat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #8

Fridgecool Universal Vent Fan
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowat View Post
Bought one myself and it really works well. You may need to set the temperature up some in the fridge because it makes it colder. We had a couple small pint size containers of ice cream in the freezer, had to leave them out for a while because they were hard as a rock. Great product, thanks again NWjeeper. You've spend my money well!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #10

There are several things we can do to help the refrigerator do its job more efficiently. First and foremost the RV must be fairly level for the refrigerator to operate properly. Older RV refrigerators required more precise leveling, but even the newer models need to be close to level for optimum performance. Over time a cooling unit operated out of level will be permanently damaged. As far as the operation of the refrigerator goes, traveling with the refrigerator on will not cause problems because the liquids and gases in the cooling unit are constantly moving around. They don’t collect and stay in areas of the cooling unit like they can in a stationary, out of level refrigerator.

The initial cool down process can take four to six hours. You should turn the refrigerator on the day before you plan to leave, and before you put any food in it. When you do load the refrigerator the food you put in should already be cold, and the food put in the freezer should already be frozen. Putting cold food in the refrigerator, rather than adding warm food, lets the refrigerator work less to cool down. One common mistake made is to over pack the refrigerator. There has to be space between the foods to allow for air to circulate throughout the compartment. In most situations you will have access to a store where you can buy food. A two to three day supply should be enough.

To assist with air circulation you can purchase an inexpensive, battery operated refrigerator fan. Put the batteries in and place the fan in the front of the refrigerator compartment blowing up. The fan will improve the efficiency by circulating the air and it will reduce the initial cool down time by 50%.

The heat created by the cooling process is vented behind the refrigerator. Air enters through the outside lower refrigerator vent and helps to draft the hot air out through the roof vent. Periodically inspect the back of the refrigerator and the roof vent for any obstructions like bird nests, leaves or other debris that might prevent the heat from escaping.

Another good idea is to install a 12 volt, thermostatically controlled refrigerator vent fan at the back of the refrigerator, or at the top of the roof vent, to assist with drafting the hot air away from the refrigerator. If you are mechanically inclined these fans are fairly easy to install, or you can have your RV dealer install one for you. Either way it’s worth it. The fan removes the heat built up behind the refrigerator improving the refrigerators performance by up to 40%.

The outside temperature also affects the operation and efficiency of your RV refrigerator. When it’s cold out you can lower the temperature setting and when it’s hot out you can raise the setting. Some refrigerators are preset by the manufacturer. Extremely hot weather will directly affect the refrigerators efficiency. When it’s really hot outside try parking your RV with the side the refrigerator is on in the shade. Periodically inspect and clean the refrigerator door gaskets. Check them for a good seal. Place a dollar bill behind the seal and close the door. It should stay there and not drop. When you try to pull it out there should be some resistance felt. Do this in several different places and have any damaged seals replaced.

Try to limit the amount of times you open the refrigerator or freezer doors and the length of time you leave the doors open. Last but not least you should always have a small thermometer in the food compartment. Food can begin to spoil at temperatures above 40 degrees.

RV absorption refrigerators do a great job for RVers. They will do an even better job, and last longer, if we apply these simple tips to make their job easier and less demanding
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #11

Computer muffin fans are 12 volt, draw very little current and can he had for around 5 dollars. And they do the job.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote