Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #1

Relay question on 2007 CC 36RLTS

Having trouble with this relay. It is buzzing incessantly. Connected to 30amp fuse, right next to 30amp breaker, right next to battery. See pics. Pic of battery is for location reference, relay is connected to green wire as seen in 2pics. Does anyone know what this relay does? Also what does the buzzing (high pitched whine) mean? Symptoms: Tank level LEDs don't work right when power is cut to relay. Some say full, some don't work at all, etc. Attempted solution so far: I have replaced all three circuit breakers (grey ones in picture) for good measure, replaced relay one wire at a time to make sure wired same as old relay. New relay makes same buzzing noise. Could it be related to tank heaters? Thanks in advance for any help.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180226_192513.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	164022Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180226_182019.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	164023Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180226_192028.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	164024
Old 03-03-2018, 09:01 PM   #2

Although I’m not familiar with that exact set up, I am an electronics Tech by trade and know that the relay should not buzz. The relay is just a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) switch. The coil wires are connected to what is labeled 85 and 86. Depending on wether the coil is energized or not, a connection is made between 30 and 87 or 30 and 87a.

There are AC and DC coil relays. I’m not sure what that circuit is but it is basically just a switch. If it is a DC coil relay running on DC, I’d say the coil and return spring part of the relay is bad, unless the voltage required to run the “switch” (Relay) is low. (Requires a certain amount of voltage to overcome the tension of the internal spring (minimum pull in voltage)

One easy way to test it is to apply 12 volts (assuming it is a 12 volt coil relay) from a small battery and see it it works without buzzing.

A click is normal, then another when removing power from the coil. Some are pretty quiet.

A DC coil relay that is operating on AC WILL buzz, but I can’t believe this is the problem if it’s the original.

Hope this helps
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netcomdude View Post
Although I’m not familiar with that exact set up, I am an electronics Tech by trade and know that the relay should not buzz. The relay is just a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) switch. The coil wires are connected to what is labeled 85 and 86. Depending on wether the coil is energized or not, a connection is made between 30 and 87 or 30 and 87a.

There are AC and DC coil relays. I’m not sure what that circuit is but it is basically just a switch. If it is a DC coil relay running on DC, I’d say the coil and return spring part of the relay is bad, unless the voltage required to run the “switch” (Relay) is low. (Requires a certain amount of voltage to overcome the tension of the internal spring (minimum pull in voltage)

One easy way to test it is to apply 12 volts (assuming it is a 12 volt coil relay) from a small battery and see it it works without buzzing.

A click is normal, then another when removing power from the coil. Some are pretty quiet.

A DC coil relay that is operating on AC WILL buzz, but I can’t believe this is the problem if it’s the original.

Hope this helps
Will try the battery idea. Thanks!