Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 12:06 AM   #1

Relocate stabilizer jack?

I experienced my first travel trailer tire blowout. When the tire blew, it totally ruined the stabilizer jack just behind it. Is there any problem moving it back so another blowout won't damage it? I have a 2015 Cherokee wolf pup 16bhs
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #2

Looking at pics of your unit...wow, those are mounted directly behind the tires. I see why they did it, though. Your plumbing on the curb side is at the back corner. You could move them back on the frame, but probably not much. They really need to be directly opposite from each other to keep from potentially binding the frame and your plumbing may not allow much movement. It may be that was the best place to put them.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:41 PM   #3

I measured the "blast radius" of the blowout. It tore insulation out as far as 18 inches behind the wheel well. I measures the plumbing and it is right at 17 inches behind the wheel well. It is worth moving the stabilizers back just that far? It's just 8 holes and a couple drill bits, right?! I already have bolts to rebolt them.
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #4

It shouldn't hurt anything, but it's probably not necessary. Either way you go, you should be alright. Blowouts shouldn't be an issue...yes, they happen, but not as often as you would think. MOST of the time, they're caused by under inflation, over speed, and over load. All of that's preventable.

Upside to moving them back...MAY give you a little better stability in regards to rocking. Downside...MAY give you a little more bounce. Overall, it's probably a draw. Also, that extra less than 2 feet of distance probably won't make much difference to a 60 mph flying piece of rubber.

Tags
cat