Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #1

Replace fuses that constantly blow w/appropriate circuit breakers?

When the wardrobe slide is operated on my 8285WS the fuse blows about 4 out of 5 times and when my landing gear is retracted to the stop it blows the fuse.

Has anyone replaced their fuses with an appropriate 30 amp circuit breaker?

Is this the breaker you used?

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cg...#ShipPolicyTab

Dealer's suggestion was to not let my wife operate the WS slide and to draw a line on my landing gear just before full stop.

The gear motor is easily accessible but the WS slide 30 amp fuse is BEHINDthe electrical center. There is another inaccessable fuse there as well and I suspect it is for the big slide.

I do not understand why these slide fuses are not accessable like the other circuits.
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #2

I think the fuse you linked to is the Maxi type fuse. The large fuse used in the main under-hood distribution box of an automobile.

this one should work.

Although, you should try to find out why they blow.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #3

You are correct Milzat - The auto parts store showed me that it was incorrect also.

here is what I think I need:

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cg...#ShipPolicyTab

I do not think there is a fault in the landing gear motor or the slide motor but when it hits a hard stop and the 'juice' is still on (switch held down) it pops the fuse. I changed the link in my original post to reflect this
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I replaced ALL the 30 amp fuses in my 8526 with autoreset ones. The slide ones WERE so hard to get to (behind the battery box) they were a chore. The front landing gear up and down limit was the fuse. So that was my first replacement. I went through 5 (I had brought spares TG) on our first trip out. The rear stabilizers have a auto-reset current limiter (in addition to the 15 amp blade fuse in the panel) in line near the up/down switch.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/221...D?vhost=travel

The new and improved battery area has the green slide fuses relocated.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/289...C?vhost=travel

That shot was still work in progress. Here it is finished.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/269...t?vhost=travel
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #5

Thanks for the phots, Lou.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

So far no issues with the WS fuse behind the power center, but I know there are two fuses in holders back there. So far no issues but I have a couple of auto-reseters in the spares box in case it happens on the road. Next time that box comes out I plan on chanhging them too.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
OldSoldiers

I too have experienced this issue. The first time the Wardrobe slide quit I was completely lost after checking every availalbe fuse or breaker. Who knew they'd just hang an in-line fuse completely behind the power management module. I had to take my rig to the dealer for a fix the first time.

The issue here is 2-fold.

1. The fuse setting is just too close to the normal operating requirements of the associated motors. Any event that causes an increased current demand, such as a stall or rub, will blow the fuses.
2. Battery condition can also cause a fuse blow. If the battery voltage is low, the motor will demand extra current to continue to move the slide and this is also likely to blow the fuse.

I(current) = P(power)/E(voltage) If Power requirement is fixed and voltage goes down, then the current must go up.

I REALLY appreciate the info here on the auto-resetting breakers. I WILL order some soonest to elimanate the need to pull out my power module every time it blows a fuse. So far it's happened to me twice and I am very careful at the open and close limits.

Godo work crew. Well done.

PS: Does anyone know who to contact or how I can get a REAL maintenance manual for my 8285? Forest River's website is eminantly impossible to get anything other than sales info from.

Thanks in advance,
OldSoldier
OldSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Nope, but would surely LOVE to get a real "Dash One" for my camper. Wiring diagrams etc. Building my own as a labor of love (and self protection).

Tags
breaker