Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #1

Rockwood 8280WS KW1 Filter Location

I have a Rockwood Signature UL, and was wondering EXACTLY where the water filter is located? The previous owner provided a new KW1 replacement filter, but I'm not sure where the old one is located.

Hopefully there are some 8280WS owners on the forum that can provide assistance.

Thx!
guzzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #2

UPDATE: Found where the KW1 filter goes. Man, that thing is a PITA to get to.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
WFD

Yup...that's the case with many of the models with that filter....now imagine, given their history that it drops and gushes water all over in the middle of the night or while you are outside, how long will it take you to reach it...exactly why so many of us have pulled that right out of the system and bypassed it and gone with an exterior filter system....tons of nightmare stories in the forum of problems with these filters, just search it and you will see.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:16 PM   #4

WFD --- Agreed. So far, I've always just connected a filter to the white hose coming off the city spigot to filter the water. Never really saw a reason to install the KW1 filter, however, I have been wondering where it actually gets installed at. Seeing how most have experienced issues with it, I'll just leave it alone for now.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:38 PM   #5
WFD

It's not enough to leave it alone though...problem is there are numerous stories of the canister dropping off or cracking and leaking and so on and so on. What you need to do is get in there and take it right out and put some pex in there with clamps or sharkbites and call it a day.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Never really saw a reason to install the KW1 filter, however, I have been wondering where it actually gets installed at. Seeing how most have experienced issues with it, I'll just leave it alone for now.
the reality is the filter housing fails, not the filter cartridge, so ignoring the installation of the filter does not fix the problem of having a failed water filter happen in a hidden location where the water damage is hidden for some period... find the filter location,, remove it and hook the input hose to the output hose with a coupler...

a little effort now will save you some heartache and serious water damage later

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:01 AM   #7

Ok, I see what's going on here now. Thanks for the advice; will start this weekend on preventing a future disaster.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #8

We just bought our 2018 8280 Ultra Light. Have not even taken it on the maiden voyage yet. Reading here we found we should do something with the water filter. We knew where it was, only because the walk through showed us. What a horrible place to put it. Ours was located next to the city water inlet, BEHIND the furnace. Could only get to it by taking off the divider between the 'basement' and the wiring areas. That gave us about 3 more inches to work with. Also had to remove the center panel of the basement so we could actually remove the filter. Went to our local plumbing store and he sold us a PEX push connect coupler 1/2. Went on the PEX like a charm but the vinyl hose was very difficult. A little warming of the end made it a bit more plyable and we were finally able to connect. Turned on the water and lo and behold it worked. No leaking now. Thought you may like to know that it is a 2 man job that took about 2 hours. But sure it will be worth it. Oh, and that is where I found the sub woofer for the speaker system. Say Whaaat!!!
sharon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, 8280ws, cat, location, rockwood