Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #1

Rockwood 8316ss GfI problem

Hi all, looking for some help here, the GFI plug on my trailer(located in kitchen area) keeps tripping. It doesn't matter if there is anything plugged into it or not or if it is summer/winter. I had it checked in the fall by the dealer and they said they couldn't find anything yet the plug keeps tripping(I have a heater plugged in it right now for winter months). Anyone else have any issues with this or know how to resolve the problem? If not, back to the dealer...

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Kelly
2010 Rockwood 8316ss

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River
redhotcrew2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcrew2004 View Post
Hi all, looking for some help here, the GFI plug on my trailer(located in kitchen area) keeps tripping. It doesn't matter if there is anything plugged into it or not or if it is summer/winter. I had it checked in the fall by the dealer and they said they couldn't find anything yet the plug keeps tripping(I have a heater plugged in it right now for winter months). Anyone else have any issues with this or know how to resolve the problem? If not, back to the dealer...

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Kelly
2010 Rockwood 8316ss

it could be a issue with the GFI. GFI's are notoriously made bad. i would replace it and see if it stops tripping. there is a good chace it is just defective.
ohcnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #3

Start with replacing it with another GFI receptacle. Make sure that you wire it correctly. If the incoming and outgoing power wires get mixed up it will fry the GFI.
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the help gentleman!! I have an appointment for some warranty issues to be looked at, I will have the dealer replace the GFI at that time and hope for the best...

Thanks again for the quick replies!!

Cheers!

Kelly

Old 02-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #5

Had the same problem with mine. Sometimes it was as simple as turning on the TV (it was on the same circuit). Replaced the GFI and problem was solved!
sdadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #6

Im coming in late on this but on my Wildwood the GFI in the kitchen is wired in parallel with the outlet at the sink in the bedroom area. If the GFI trips in the kitchen it disables the standard outlet in the bedroom, it maybe wired with the outside outlet also. So check all. Trip the GFI and see which other outlets are disabled then determine if its anything pluged into them. Hope this makes sense.
floridamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #7

So, found out what the problem was. The gfi was not tripping because of load problems. We found that the gfi was tripping after the cupboard door was shut too hard. Must be a loose wire somewhere. It is going back to the shop under warranty...again....

Thanks for all the replies on this.

Kelly
Old 05-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #8

Wow that really sucks !

Hope your luck changes soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcrew2004 View Post
So, found out what the problem was. The gfi was not tripping because of load problems. We found that the gfi was tripping after the cupboard door was shut too hard. Must be a loose wire somewhere. It is going back to the shop under warranty...again....

Thanks for all the replies on this.

Kelly
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote