Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #1

Rockwood Quality

I'm seriously considering a Rockwood 21'. My question is a general question about the Rockwood quality, workmanship etc.. as compared to other brands. If you don't like Rockwood, please tell me what you like better?

thanks in advance.
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #2

they all come out of the same factory, made by the same components. Buy what you like and what suits your needs
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
they all come out of the same factory, made by the same components. Buy what you like and what suits your needs
What I mean is, compared to say alumilite, amerilite, jayco etc... etc....? How do they stack up against other mfg?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
What I mean is, compared to say alumilite, amerilite, jayco etc... etc....? How do they stack up against other mfg?
Stick with the Fr product. I cant say for the Alumilite or Amerilite As for the Jayco there will never be one in my driveway.

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #5

We shopped around,went to 4 different rv shows and for our needs the Minilite 2104S worked for us. As to quality we comparied 8-10 comperable makes and felt that the Minilite had the best quality.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:21 AM   #6

I've heard many people say they will never again own whatever the current one is they have. There are good and bad of all of them.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I've heard many people say they will never again own whatever the current one is they have. There are good and bad of all of them.
very true!

every brand/manufacturer has its fans and haters.
just check any of the generic RV forums, like RV.net. you'll be able to find people unhappy with every brand of RV out there. and you'll be able to find people that love every brand out there.

there's no substitute for getting inside every brand you can and determine for yourself, what YOU think is the best made brand out there.
sure, getting feedback from the internet is fine, but you still need to look in person.

we did this and made a 3-level list. Great, Good and Average.
we had a number of brands, in each level, based on what WE thought.

quality and fit/finish is very subjective. but as you can see, we bought a Rockwood HTT and have had it for over 7 years. it's still in great shape.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Infractee

I truly believe it is all about the floorplan and price, find what you want at how much you want to pay and go from there. As been said above, every Mfr has lovers and haters, there is no "best" camper. The "best" camper is the one that fits your needs at the price you want to pay.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
Site Team

I've had 1 jayco and 2 forest river units. Each had some issues.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #10

As you can see in my signature line that I own a Rockwood. The Rockwood and Flagstaff are sisters, come off the same line at the factory. Let me try to list my opinion of it.
1) Overall quality 8
2) great layouts 10
3)Alco easy tension axles 10
4) hard wood cabinets 8
5) electrical systems 7
6) heating system 8
7) TPO roof 10
8) stereo system 8
9) heads w/shower 8
10) tires 3
11) bang of the buck 10
12) Forest river 10
13) Most dealers 7 for service after warranty from FR 10
14) I also think Flagstaff has a little edge on Rockwood but did not have the floor plan we wanted. Solid trailer but by no means 4 season, very minor stuff during the 2 years I have owned it. Have drove from Virginia to Oregon never a major problem knock on wood.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #11

My first was a Rockwood popup. The second year we considered buying something a little bigger and went to one of the big RV shows to look around. At the time, we were considering a big high wall popup and looked at several different brands. I'll say I'm glad I bought what I did because some of the others just felt "cheap" on the inside. We ended up with a TT and, when we bought the new one, we stayed with Rockwood.

I never had any major problems with the popup in the two years I had it (aside from very minor things that a trip to Lowe's and $20 couldn't fix ) and haven't had a single problem with the 2104S we've got now (aside from a few LED lights out on the porch strip....but for $25 shipped and 30 min. to replace the entire strip if I want to, I don't really count it as a problem). I'm pretty happy with the build quality on it overall.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
As you can see in my signature line that I own a Rockwood. The Rockwood and Flagstaff are sisters, come off the same line at the factory. Let me try to list my opinion of it.
1) Overall quality 8
2) great layouts 10
3)Alco easy tension axles 10
4) hard wood cabinets 8
5) electrical systems 7
6) heating system 8
7) TPO roof 10
8) stereo system 8
9) heads w/shower 8
10) tires 3
11) bang of the buck 10
12) Forest river 10
13) Most dealers 7 for service after warranty from FR 10
14) I also think Flagstaff has a little edge on Rockwood but did not have the floor plan we wanted. Solid trailer but by no means 4 season, very minor stuff during the 2 years I have owned it. Have drove from Virginia to Oregon never a major problem knock on wood.
Hate to say it, but I agree with Glen with the exception of his too high rating on #10, IMO it should be -10. I wouldn't pull a new trailer off the dealer's lot with the factory tires, JMO.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Hate to say it, but I agree with Glen with the exception of his too high rating on #10, IMO it should be -10. I wouldn't pull a new trailer off the dealer's lot with the factory tires, JMO.
And I agree with old coot. Tires need serious rethinking at fr management level.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #14

Thanks to all for the responses. I really didn't know the tires were and issue. I hope they get me the 1100 mile trip from the dealer to my home?
Old 03-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #15
MI Camperz

You can do extensive reading on tires here. It's a big deal. As it should be. Safety and you want to get where you're going. This forum is super informative.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #16

Our first camper was a Gulfstream Amerilite ~ we considered it disposable.

We then had a couple of Dutchmen products ~ affordable and held up ok but we took good care of them. Would not be my first choice today.

We had a Jayco Class C and found it to be of great quality ~ having said that, we have been looking at travel trailers and they're not really impressing me right now.

We had a Rockwood Roo (great quality and reasonably priced) ~ traded for a Prime Time Tracer which we are finding to be of good quality ~ and would be willing to go Rockwood again.

Yes, we are a salesman's dream ~ lol, but has to be a good deal and make sense (at least at the time )
Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #17

Advice on 4 new tires?

Hello,

I'm a 'new to me' owner of a 2007 Rockwood Roo 19' Hybrid TT, and I'm in the market for 4 new 205/75/r14 trailer tires.

I've read some of the enlightening posts ref the importance of good tires.

So, any advice as to which brands I should/should not consider?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

7thson
7thson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thson View Post
Hello,

I'm a 'new to me' owner of a 2007 Rockwood Roo 19' Hybrid TT, and I'm in the market for 4 new 205/75/r14 trailer tires.

I've read some of the enlightening posts ref the importance of good tires.

So, any advice as to which brands I should/should not consider?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

7thson
To me and I think that most folks would agree the (2) best tires are either Maxxis or GY Marathons. All tires are now made overseas for trailers. The important part of it is the the difference in ST or LT that would be your decision. I bought Marathron ST which have a great rep. but do have a limit speed of 65 mph. But you can not go wrong with either brand in my opinion. Those are the 2 that I would be looking up.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #19

We've had our Rockwood TT now for almost 3 years and love it. Quality is great. Few minor issues as you would expect, but nothing major. Did replace the tires with Greenballs, went from a load range C to D. However we ran on the factory tires for at least 5,000 miles before replacing them. Make sure the cold pressure is correct before starting out and don't drive 75!
Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Thanks to all for the responses. I really didn't know the tires were and issue. I hope they get me the 1100 mile trip from the dealer to my home?
Just make sure they are inflated properly (50 lbs) and you will be good for 1100 miles I am sure. I have a Rockwood 2604WS and have pulled it over 8000 miles in the past year with the factory tires without an issue, and that does not include the delivery from Indiana to Florida. I inspect them at each fuel/rest stop and I also have an infrared temp gun that I use to check tire temp and axle temps.

Just research the threads on here about tires. Don't ask because it is like asking an opinion about a certain make of truck.. Opens a can of worms...

As far as quality, I have had no major issues with my Rockwood.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood