Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #1

Question RockWood Roo 21RS

Just purchased a 2008 21RS Rockwood Roo. We love the layout and are just getting use to the trailer and all it has to offer. I have a question regarding the Hot Water Tank. Does anyone know if this system is strictly Gas or Electric or both? Reason I ask is that I noticed that there is a electical plug laying in the bottom bunk I believe is connected to the hot water tank but isn't plugged in. In addition, I noticed on the hot water tank there is a black On/Off button that has it set to Off and has a cotter pin attatched to it. I tried the hot water system by turning it On in the trailer and the red light (Reset) button was lite for a 1 minute and then the system turned on. I heard the system heating up and appears to be good. Just curious if it's electric or gas or both for my known knowledge.

Also, Is there a easy way to winterize this trailer? I noticed that there wasn't a bypass valve present to turn off the hot water tank.

Any info would be appreciated. Sorry for the long note.
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Plug it in and it should work on electric. Pull the pin and set switch to on. Be sure that the water heater is full before doing so or you will burn out the heating element in a heartbeat. There is often an outlet near the back of the water heater. It might be concealed from ordinary observation.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #3

The rocker switch on the wall that is red plastic, and lights up momentarily is for GAS operation, at least it is on my unit. The plug on the outside of the unit (on mine) under the outside ventilation/access cover when plugged in, and cotter pin removed, then switched to the on position is for electric operation. They are two independent systems from each other, and can be used together even, if desired for a fast heat-up. As long as the gas tank valve is open, you can switch the red wall switch to the on position, and your gas side should aotomatically light. The red switch will remain illuminated until the water heater reaches the set temp, then it will cycle on and off, as needed. We leave our electric side on and plugged in under the outside cover, and turn it on and off at the breaker in the converter box, labeled water heater. Much easier. Just remember to ALWAYS switch it off, if you disconnect the water supply, or you'll burn out the element! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #4

Thanks Fellas for the replay back. I took the bottom bunk paneling off to get a better observation of the water heater tank, fresh water tank and electic pump and to most importantly find out where the plug would go into. Low and Behold there was an outlet about 1.5 inches away from the forward wall not exposing the outlet. After about 15 min I got the plug finally in. Currently I have water hooked up to the trailer now and have the water heater switch set to ON. (have go outside and lift the cover to expose the water heater electric button but not a big deal). I also have the inside white switch with a red light indicator set to OFF (i'm assuming this is for Gas, which was mentioned above) and will check back on the trailer in about an hour to see if the water temp went up which I'm hoping should. After about 10 min of it being on if felt luke warm already. Thanks Again for the reply backs. I'm new to this camping world and have lots to learn. Now I'm ready to move onto my next task which is fixing the holder that holds the door open. Appears to be some stripped screws from the wind tugging and plugging on the door.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #5

Eastlakeroo, My trailer didnt come with a bypass either for winterizing, went to the trailer store to get one for about 15 dollars real easy to install no cutting. Just put it right next to your water pump if you can get to it easily, thats what worked for me.
STATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #6

Sorry didnt read the whole message, it looks like there isnt a turn off for the hot water heater but there is you should have a couple of knobs that turn, remember that the red line coming out of your water heater is a 1 way valve, no water can go in that way even that it looks like it can.
STATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #7

Thanks Static, I was able to purchase a Bypass for my water pump $18 and it was pretty easy to install like you said. Actually didn't require any cutting of the hoses and all I had to do was re-position the water pump some to eliminate any pinched lines and walla. It's done.
Eastlake, OH