Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2018, 11:15 PM   #1

Rockwood Signature - Radio Antena

We just bought a new Rockwood Signature 8289WS. Brand new, carry over 2017. The antenna for the radio is on the side by dining/fireplace slide. Radio reception is terrible. We have had various campers over the last 30 years with antennas on roof and always good reception. I think we need a longer antenna. Any suggestions? Thanks
Racer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #2

I disconnected the radio antenna behind the radio. With an adaptor I connected it to the cable going to the rooftop tv antenna. Pulls in many many FM stations and the weather band. No AM stations on this type of hookup. That antenna mounted on the side of the RV is nothing more than a joke.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #3

Thank you! We will give that a try!
Racer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
I disconnected the radio antenna behind the radio. With an adaptor I connected it to the cable going to the rooftop tv antenna. Pulls in many many FM stations and the weather band. No AM stations on this type of hookup. That antenna mounted on the side of the RV is nothing more than a joke.
I advise NOT to hook your radio up to your roof antenna...

My 5'ver already came hooked up that way...and it shorted out the cable and TV signal to the livingroom TV.

Took six months and three trips to the dealership and they could never figure out what was going on...

Took me two wasted days on a camping trip in the Rocky Mountains tearing the basement apart and finally figuring this out on my own.

I've read multiple threads on various RV chatboards of the same or similar issue as mine and when I told them what I found...many times theirs was the same thing!

For now I have a marine/boat antenna stuffed in the cabinet and it picks up OK, except way up in the mountains.

But I am going to mount an outdoor antenna on the outside of the slide where the entertainment center is!

Probably skip the RV ones and get one at a truck stop!

Those truckers don't screw around when it comes to working electronics in their trucks!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I advise NOT to hook your radio up to your roof antenna...

My 5'ver already came hooked up that way...and it shorted out the cable and TV signal to the livingroom TV.

Took six months and three trips to the dealership and they could never figure out what was going on...

Took me two wasted days on a camping trip in the Rocky Mountains tearing the basement apart and finally figuring this out on my own.

I've read multiple threads on various RV chatboards of the same or similar issue as mine and when I told them what I found...many times theirs was the same thing!

For now I have a marine/boat antenna stuffed in the cabinet and it picks up OK, except way up in the mountains.

But I am going to mount an outdoor antenna on the outside of the slide where the entertainment center is!

Probably skip the RV ones and get one at a truck stop!

Those truckers don't screw around when it comes to working electronics in their trucks!

Something must have been wrong with the initial installation. With two televisions and the radio still working quite well on the rooftop antenna with over four years of use on them. Many on this forum have done the same all with great results, do a search.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
Something must have been wrong with the initial installation. With two televisions and the radio still working quite well on the rooftop antenna with over four years of use on them. Many on this forum have done the same all with great results, do a search.
We can argue back and forth all day and in the end it won't do either us, or the OP any good.

Like I said, I know a lot of people that have experienced the same issue I had, just as you do your experience.

I'm just trying to let the OP know that if he does hook up to the roof antenna he might just create a bigger problem than he has now.

Not to mention that if hooked up to the roof antenna you can listen to the radio...or you can watch TV...but not both at the same time (ie.- have the radio on outside while someone is watching TV inside).

By the by...a large portion of RV's directly from the factory (all brands, doesn't matter) come out with the TV/Cable/Sat wiring done up completely backwards.

Both brand new RV's I've purchased in the last five years came out that way...

And both times my dealerships couldn't figure it out because they kept rewiring it back up according to the schematics...

And both RV's I eventually had to go in myself and do it right...

Old 07-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
We can argue back and forth all day and in the end it won't do either us, or the OP any good.

Like I said, I know a lot of people that have experienced the same issue I had, just as you do your experience.

I'm just trying to let the OP know that if he does hook up to the roof antenna he might just create a bigger problem than he has now.

Not to mention that if hooked up to the roof antenna you can listen to the radio...or you can watch TV...but not both at the same time (ie.- have the radio on outside while someone is watching TV inside).

By the by...a large portion of RV's directly from the factory (all brands, doesn't matter) come out with the TV/Cable/Sat wiring done up completely backwards.

Both brand new RV's I've purchased in the last five years came out that way...

And both times my dealerships couldn't figure it out because they kept rewiring it back up according to the schematics...

And both RV's I eventually had to go in myself and do it right...

All I can say is that it works. We have had the both tv's on different channels and the OS radio speakers on without issue, all different frequencies.

You are correct when you mentioned new RV's delivered with coax connected wrong. Our first night out in 2013 I had to properly connect the amplifier and repair several end connectors that were frayed, terrible job by the installers.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
Canadian Member

I think this is what you need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/w...shlist_lists_1
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Link is not working...
Old 07-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #10
Canadian Member

Sorry, try this...

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-F-Co...to+f+connector
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
That was the connection that was causing most of the problems in my 5'ver...

Use at your own risk and be prepared to go back to a better outside antenna than what came from the factory!

That's all I'm gonna say on this issue...

Tags
radio, rockwood