Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #1

Rookie at Work

Hello, I am buying a 2012 Brookstone Diamond 295rls. I have never towed a fiver before. Before taking delivery, I am having an Onan LPG 5500 generator installed. The diamond edition comes "generator ready."

For the life of me I have been unable to find any technical information about what "Generator Ready" means for this model, except for the sales brochure from Coachmen, which isn't very helpful in this regard.

The Questions I am trying to answer are suitable ventilation for the front compartment where the unit goes, access and clearances, ease of maintenance, etc.

I am contacting the manufacturer but that too seems to be an application for the nobel prize

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated, as would finding out the best place on this forum for owners of this coach.

Thanks and keep the shiny side up!
macavoymacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #2

My 11 Brookstone did not come generator ready, so I cannot for sure tell you. Usually that means it has a box they put the generator in, and the wiring already in place to hook up. Generator ready also usually means for an Onan (like you are doing), not a Yamaha, etc.

It should be already set up for adequate ventilation of generator ready.

Are you installing yourself, or having someone do it?

You might have more luck in the Coachmen section, but that is only a might. There are not a lot of Brookstone owners either here or at RV.net though. There is a larger number of Chaparral owners and they are made on the same Coachmen line as the Brookstones.

Coachmen - Forest River Forums
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoymacdonald View Post
Hello, I am buying a 2012 Brookstone Diamond 295rls. I have never towed a fiver before. Before taking delivery, I am having an Onan LPG 5500 generator installed. The diamond edition comes "generator ready."

For the life of me I have been unable to find any technical information about what "Generator Ready" means for this model, except for the sales brochure from Coachmen, which isn't very helpful in this regard.

The Questions I am trying to answer are suitable ventilation for the front compartment where the unit goes, access and clearances, ease of maintenance, etc.

I am contacting the manufacturer but that too seems to be an application for the nobel prize

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated, as would finding out the best place on this forum for owners of this coach.

Thanks and keep the shiny side up!

Usually generator ready means the wiring, fuel tank, and fuel lines are already installed. The Onan 5500 vents from the bottom of the unit. Maintenance is fairly simple. Changing oil is a couple quarts and oil filter. The best maintenance you can do for the Onan is: use ethanol free gas and run it once a month.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #4

I believe the generator runs off of LP.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo