Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabelle View Post
We replaced the entire plug insert/wire on the roo tongue today and no change.
Can you explain exactly how you did this?

dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #12

I will try to attach a photo of the new socket/wire we purchased at the tractor supply store TSC and wired to the existing black wire. [ not finding a way to attach a digital photo here ].

Old 07-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #13

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...albums349.html

see if this is the link to a photo of our replacement of the electric socket and wire on the Roo.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #14

most camper have a metal box along the frame or just under the front were the wiring all goes into check there next...could be something as simple as a loose wire nut
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime0022 View Post
I thought I had the same problem on mine, no running lights. Everything else worked, brakes, turn signal. Had TV hooked up and turned on lights from the TV on..... The running lights came on.
the way i read this, the trailer was hooked to the truck and the headlights turned on on the truck.

that kind of sounds like something that i would forget to do and trouble shoot every conceivable solution before i actually turned the lights on at the truck.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Crawford View Post
most camper have a metal box along the frame or just under the front were the wiring all goes into check there next...could be something as simple as a loose wire nut
This is exactly what I was getting at with my question. When replacing the wire and plug at the tongue, you really need to connect it at the junction box underneath the front of the trailer. That way you don't have any taped up splices along the way. You need about a 6 to 8 foot length of wire depending on where the junction box is. It's possible the junction box is where your problem is. All the connections are wire-nutted in the box. The one for the running lights may not have been done right or some moisture/corrosion has gotten to it.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #17

Hook up your tow vehicle. Turn on your headlights. See if your lights turn on, mine did when I turned on my lights.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
PINTO

Hook the TV to another trailer if possible, just to see if you are not familiar with volt meters etc. On most TV's there is a seperate fuse for trailer lights. You did not mention what the TV is but I am betting on a blown fuse. On Chevy's it's under the hood. The running lights and brake/signal lights are on seperate fuses. I had the fuse blow on my chevy while pulling a small utility trailer.
Chevy 3500 LTZ Dually
Kpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #19

TV might be the problem, not the TT

So after my husband spent a few hours with the TT following the wiring from the tongue back to the unit and admittedly learning a great deal about the underside of our unit he threw up his hands on Saturday with "I give up". Today I took our truck, the TV ( '04 F150 Lariat ) to a friend whose dad hooked our TV to their horse trailer and another unit....same symptom. Had connections to all lights except the running/parking lights. He spent a few hours trying to discover where the issue is, showed me some diagrams and advised taking it to the Ford dealer. I drove it there and scheduled the truck wiring issue to be addressed on Friday. The perplexing thing for me is that I pulled a 17 ft 2H BP slant load with a dressing room for 4 years with this truck. We had lights...at least to my recollection we had lights, all of them or I would never have hauled all over creation ( night included ), but maybe I didn't have running lights then either or I did have all lights/power then and something burned out in the two years of no trailering ( dghter went to college, sold horse, sold horse trailer, saved truck. ). I appreciate this forum though. Since I am the computer addict and relay all forum messages to hubby. He appreciates you all too. Thanks for the words of experience everyone.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Most Ford trucks have separate fuses in one of the under hood fuse panels for all the trailer wiring. Check the owners manual, and those fuses before you take it in. Could wind up being a $100 fuse.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote