Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2011, 12:39 AM   #21

I agree with Wind check fuses, alot of money for just a fuse at the dealer.
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #22

I use to own a 04 Ford. The fuse box for the trailer hook up is under the hood. The lights on the truck will work but the lights to the TT will not if you have a blown fuse. You have changed the plug on the TT. This might have been the original problem causing the fuse to fail.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #23

i'm going assume u have checked the fuse and it is good. if u haven't, do that first. the owners manual is the best source for the location and amperage of the fuses. seems like most are located on the fire wall under the hood.

if this is a factory installed plug on the truck, i would look for a fuse. if it is one at a different location, ie located in the bed, i would check the splices. i have had that problem with the left turn signal and it turned out to be a bad splice. they used those beautiful blue splicers that u put over the wire and they have a little blade that penetrates the wire as u squeeze them together. those splices are subject to corrosion.
plug in the trailer and go under the truck at the back and wiggle the wires around the trailer connection and see in the lights flicker or work. if they do, u are near ur problem. if u have the little splices, wiggle them. all this while the trailer is plugged in and the running lights are on.
on my trailer, all worked going into a campground and didn't work when i did the inspection before leaving.
unless u have a puppy that likes to chew wires and has chewed the wiring harness on the tow vehicle (have had that happen), ur most likely to find it in a splice or fuse.
another quick check of splice problems (which i didn't think of until after i corrected my problem) is to plug into the factory plug on the truck and see if the problem goes away.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabelle View Post
Why would we have brake lights, have turn signals, but no working running lights? It is a 2000 Rockwood Roo 21 ft. We hooked up to both our trucks with the same identical symptom. Yes brake lights. Yes turn signal lights. No amber (side ) No red ( rear top ) running lights. We can't travel at night until we find the problem. We replaced the entire plug insert/wire on the roo tongue today and no change. What next? How get the running lights working?
am i mis reading this? i'm reading that u tried two different tow vehicles with the same results.
in the latest post i believe that i am reading that u took ur tow vehicle and attached it to a different trailer with the same results.
what am i missing. the symptoms point to different problem locations.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #25

It could be that there's a short in the trailer that blows the fuse of any TV that gets hooked up to it. That would explain why it doesn't work with either TV and the TV's now do not work with other trailers.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe View Post
It could be that there's a short in the trailer that blows the fuse of any TV that gets hooked up to it. That would explain why it doesn't work with either TV and the TV's now do not work with other trailers.
yep that would explain it.

if i had just abt exhausted everything i could think of on the trailer, i believe i would pull one of the trailer marker lights and apply 12v to the wiring and see what came on. if everything worked, the problem would be either where it was applied or points near the tow vehicle. ie the junction box the cable ties into (as already been stated).
Old 07-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #27

unfortunately, if it is a short in the trailer and they do not correct it, correcting the problem in the tow vehicle means they are destined to repeat the problem.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe View Post
Let me give a re-cap of our diagnosis that the problem may rest in the TT. Here is the summary. Our '04 F150 did not turnon the running lights of two of our friends' animal stock trailers. Took the F150 to local Ford dealership. They replaced the harness, fuse, circuit breake all for a lovely cost of $179. I drove it home, attached the TT to it, turned on the lights and the same symptom. Had turn signal, brake lights, but no running lights. A bit steamed, before calling the service techs at Ford, drove truck to neighbor stock trailer and saw same symptom. Called Ford and took it in yesterday. They found a blown fuse...number?10?....and told me the problem is not the truck. They told me to go home and NOT connect to my Roo TT first. But to see my truck at a completely different trailer first. If I do, they say I will see my truck light all lights on the stock trailer. They say that our Roo TT has something like a short in a wire somewhere that blows the fuse in my truck everytime we connect. I did not appologize entirely, only partially thank ing them, because they did not have to replace the whole harness assembly to tell me this. Live Pay Learn. This forum is a wealth of knowledge. You had it right. Now. To find someone other than my husband to find the problem in the TT. I am asking around and trying to find someone who knows how to follow and find an electrical wiring issue. Like some of you all seem to know how to do. We are just at the mercy of others. Sad but true. Thank you everyone.
casabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #29

Good luck finding the short.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #30
Villa Estate 392FLFB

easy quick way would be to pop the lenses off for all the clearance lights on the trailer and check them to make sure the wire isnt grounding out
Old 08-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #31

Like is stated before, there is a junction box near the front of the trailer. Start at the plug, follow the wires back, the large black cord will go through the frame and behind the frame you will find the junction box. Most likely the problem will be in that box.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote