Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #1

Running Lights out.

Why would we have brake lights, have turn signals, but no working running lights? It is a 2000 Rockwood Roo 21 ft. We hooked up to both our trucks with the same identical symptom. Yes brake lights. Yes turn signal lights. No amber (side ) No red ( rear top ) running lights. We can't travel at night until we find the problem. We replaced the entire plug insert/wire on the roo tongue today and no change. What next? How get the running lights working?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Is there voltage on the parking light circuit?

Did it work before but not now?

Odd that so many parking lights failed at once. My camper is 2 years old and I am ordering new brake light assemblies because they leaked and water rusted the bulbs into the sockets (they still work; but they are rusted in place).

If it was one or two, I would suspect grounds, but all of them makes a bad ground less likely. Sounds more like lack of power.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #3

testing voltage across wire

we do not know how to test the voltage across the wire that we believe ( brown ) to be to the lights you call parking lights. Is that what they are? I called them running lights as if to be on running at night along the road when the truck headlamps are on. We have a fence wire voltmeter for the pasture fence. but I think that's all we have.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

A simple voltmeter is about 10 bucks at any car store. You should have one in your camper tool kit always. It will tell you battery status and allow trouble shooting of 12 VDC and 120 Ac circuits in your camper.

It also has a continuity checker to check fuses and bulbs.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #5

What is your TV? There might be a bad fuse in the TV.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #6

you have tried it with two different vehicles otherwise i would say check the splices and fuses on the tow vehicle.
u changed out the plug on the trailer, that would have been my next item to check...ie see that plug is making good contact with the socket.
next i would open the cover where the cable goes into the tongue of the trailer and check for voltage while the cable is plugged into the truck. if the cable (between truck and trailer) is pulled out of this box, u may have separated a splice.
the other item isn't easy for me to explain: my old trailer they daisy chained the lights. once i had one light that worked on the trailer, the left rear marker. found that to be the first connection they made then they worked their way around the trailer until they ended at the left front. sense they used separate pieces to string between the lights, if ur left rear and left front marker were working, u had a connection all the way around. that was on an 84 fleetwing. i believe they make more substantial splices now.
basically, ur going to have to make sure u have voltage to the trailer then work ur way around. my money is going to be on a connection at on end or the other of that umbilical cord.
the ground usually is a problem but ur brake and turn lights wouldn't work (properly...the correct one blinks with the truck) if the ground wasn't good.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #7

try these with the tow vehicle not connected to the trailer.

if u can figure out which pin is the battery and which is running lights on the trailer plug, u can try jumping between them and see if the lights come on. if they do, u know it is between the plug on the trailer and the tow vehicle.

another idea, try pulling one of the running light fixtures and apply 12 volt between the ground and the positive of that fixture. all the running lights should light. if they don't, the problem is probably in the one that doesn't light.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:28 AM   #8

I thought I had the same problem on mine, no running lights. Everything else worked, brakes, turn signal. Had TV hooked up and turned on lights from the TV on..... The running lights came on.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #9

dear showtime0022, can you elaborate how you were successful getting the running lights on? thanks.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #10

we are going to go purchase a voltmeter. there are two rv places in our county. if we can't fix this, we will have to haul to them. we may as well do as much as we can ourselves. thanks.