Old 06-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #31
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing..... "of what"? Mind reading was never my forte.

It was hard to imagine so much damage from just a microburst of air. Not at all impossible if the vents were all dry rotted, but the Hail did help to clarify the extent of the damage.
microbursts can have wind speeds in excess of 200mph . i've seen where microbursts have knocked down 20" trees in an area the size of a football field and be perfectly square . they can flip you TT and your truck

northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou
Picture in your mind a large ball of very cold air at an altitude of 10 to 15 thousand feet and drop it. It will fall straight down gaining speed as it falls.

When you are flying and hit this ball of air you can drop hundreds of feet as you (hopefully) fly through it.

Worse yet, when it hits the ground with a giant splat.

Winds at the center of the splat are near zero and very cold; BUT

Outwards from the center winds can reach a hundred or more miles per hour.

Flying close to the ground like on approach, an aircraft will encounter headwinds of a hundred plus miles per hour causing your indicated airspeed to increase rapidly and then decrease to near zero moments later as you exit the microburst with a hundred plus mile per hour tail wind causing a stall condition and most often a tragic fall to the ground.

Pilots are trained (as a direct result of the DFW crash) to recognize that unexplained increase in indicated airspeed coupled with a decrease in speed over the ground as the primary indicator that you have entered a microburst. The only way to save the plane is to recognize it is happening; advance power to maximum (afterburners if you got em), raise the nose and pray you caught it in time not to crash when you come out the other side.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #33
Rigman,while you are Waiting for "Lids" put on Maxair Covers you need them anyway,they stand up to Most Hail storms anyway! Did any of your "Neighbors" have Maxair covers,they have a 5 year Warr! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #34
Rigman,you have (4) roof vents Plus A/C? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #35
Others previously gave very good explanations/descriptions of a microburst. Unfortunately, in today's dumbed-down mass media environment there is no longer any attempt to use proper terminology or even good English language structure. Much of this is routine on "The Weather Channel" where they instead talk of "straight line winds" instead of microbursts, "rain chance" instead of chance of rain, and so many other irritating stupid phrases. Good to see that many participants here are knowledgeable and share more than RV information.
2016 Flagstaff 8528IKWS Diamond Pkg.
2016 F-250 Lariat CC SRW PSD 4x4
USMC Fighter Pilot (Ret)
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #36
Originally Posted by Rigman View Post
Thank you very much I greatly appreciate your help.

I contacted Ruby and yes she was very helpful. Parts are on the way. Thank you.

Rigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:29 AM   #37
I remember that crash in DFW very well. Some friends were first responders and it still gets to them. I used to drive that route all the time. Always shuddered as we would drive by and see that huge storage tank with the massive dent in it from the wreckage. Bad times.
Just drove by there Tuesday and thought about it.

Dwayne and Susan
Jiro and Phoebe-4 legged family members
Mike and Dana - Traveling buddies
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is online now   Reply With Quote