Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&K Hoffman View Post
Here is the factory contact for parts: Ruby Gonzalez, (574)642-8922 RGONZALEZ@FORESTRIVERINC.COM
She is actually the Flaggstaff parts contact but she is filling in for Rockwood parts as a new person is trained for that position. If another person has taken over she will be able to forward that info to you. I was able to order body parts and have them sent directly to me.
No kidding? I was under the impression I had to go through a dealer. Needing fender flair and lower metal after my tire explosion.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #22
Dazed & Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
No kidding? I was under the impression I had to go through a dealer. Needing fender flair and lower metal after my tire explosion.
Nope, they are very helpful. I provided info about my trailer and sent photos of what I was looking for and she provided part numbers and prices. Have to call to order as you don't want want to email CC info. They do take 11 to 14 working days to process and ship the order, otherwise painless process.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #23
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
People who live where violent thunderstorms frequently occur know what microbursts are. Speaking of this particular DFW storm - I drove home from work in Las Colinas to Highland Village that afternoon just 20-30 minutes before the crash. The plane hit a car in the lane where I had driven. That was a rough storm and crash.
That crash occurred August 2,1985 when a Delta L-1011 TriStar operating as Flight 191 (FLL-DFW) experienced a relatively unknown weather phenomenon now known as a Microburst. There were many fatalities and much ground damage.

Since then,much research has been done and we are now better equipped to identify Microbursts and deal with them.

The car that was struck and the driver killed was on Texas Highway 114 on the North side of DFW airport.

I,for one,am always reminded of that tragedy each time I drive past the location.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #24

I lived in Wichita KS in the late 70's. We were hit by a microburst of around 100 mph. Destroyed some mobile homes in a mobile home park near to where we lived. They can be quite destructive (almost as bad as a tornado). Everyone thought it was a tornado but the weather service said it was a microburst.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Nope, they are very helpful. I provided info about my trailer and sent photos of what I was looking for and she provided part numbers and prices. Have to call to order as you don't want want to email CC info. They do take 11 to 14 working days to process and ship the order, otherwise painless process.
Thanks, I sent her an email.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Here is the factory contact for parts: Ruby Gonzalez, (574)642-8922 RGONZALEZ@FORESTRIVERINC.COM
She is actually the Flaggstaff parts contact but she is filling in for Rockwood parts as a new person is trained for that position. If another person has taken over she will be able to forward that info to you. I was able to order body parts and have them sent directly to me.

Thank you very much I greatly appreciate your help.

Rusty
Rigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Be sure and take pictures of your vent cover hinges (what's left anyway). If I remember there are at least 3 different manufacturers of course they are not interchangeable. And the vents on my new rig weren't the ones the factory said I had when I had to replace mine in a similar incident.

I found it easier to just order my fender covers from the factory. Just takes a lot of patience

Thank you

Rusty
Old 06-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigman View Post
That said it shattered all 4 roof vents. Shattered the fender skirts and a couple marker lights. I have looked on camper world for replacement vent covers but don't know if they are all universal. Would anyone know or be able to tell me where I can pick up vent covers that will fit. Also same with fender skirts.

My RV is a 2013 Rockwood 3025W Windjammer.
I take it your awning was not out ???
Good luck with your repairs !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #29

Quote:
She's already emailed me back, very efficient lady. I've got to measure the metal and get my vin and email her back in a minute.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #30
Radioman

Micro-Burst

I just replaced my AC covers after a never before hail storm that came through. Checked with local repair shop. They wanted nearly $400 before tx and said orders are running two to three weeks on back order. Went to Amazon and got them for $285 and had them in a week. Just put them on. Take pictures of the covers you want to replace and compare them to the pics on the web site.
Yuba City, CA. 95993
bjlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing..... "of what"? Mind reading was never my forte.

It was hard to imagine so much damage from just a microburst of air. Not at all impossible if the vents were all dry rotted, but the Hail did help to clarify the extent of the damage.
microbursts can have wind speeds in excess of 200mph . i've seen where microbursts have knocked down 20" trees in an area the size of a football field and be perfectly square . they can flip you TT and your truck
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Picture in your mind a large ball of very cold air at an altitude of 10 to 15 thousand feet and drop it. It will fall straight down gaining speed as it falls.

When you are flying and hit this ball of air you can drop hundreds of feet as you (hopefully) fly through it.

Worse yet, when it hits the ground with a giant splat.

Winds at the center of the splat are near zero and very cold; BUT

Outwards from the center winds can reach a hundred or more miles per hour.

Flying close to the ground like on approach, an aircraft will encounter headwinds of a hundred plus miles per hour causing your indicated airspeed to increase rapidly and then decrease to near zero moments later as you exit the microburst with a hundred plus mile per hour tail wind causing a stall condition and most often a tragic fall to the ground.

Pilots are trained (as a direct result of the DFW crash) to recognize that unexplained increase in indicated airspeed coupled with a decrease in speed over the ground as the primary indicator that you have entered a microburst. The only way to save the plane is to recognize it is happening; advance power to maximum (afterburners if you got em), raise the nose and pray you caught it in time not to crash when you come out the other side.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #33

Rigman,while you are Waiting for "Lids" put on Maxair Covers you need them anyway,they stand up to Most Hail storms anyway! Did any of your "Neighbors" have Maxair covers,they have a 5 year Warr! Youroo!!
Old 06-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #34

Rigman,you have (4) roof vents Plus A/C? Youroo!!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #35

Others previously gave very good explanations/descriptions of a microburst. Unfortunately, in today's dumbed-down mass media environment there is no longer any attempt to use proper terminology or even good English language structure. Much of this is routine on "The Weather Channel" where they instead talk of "straight line winds" instead of microbursts, "rain chance" instead of chance of rain, and so many other irritating stupid phrases. Good to see that many participants here are knowledgeable and share more than RV information.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigman View Post
Thank you very much I greatly appreciate your help.

Rusty

I contacted Ruby and yes she was very helpful. Parts are on the way. Thank you.

Rusty
Old 06-17-2016, 07:29 AM   #37

I remember that crash in DFW very well. Some friends were first responders and it still gets to them. I used to drive that route all the time. Always shuddered as we would drive by and see that huge storage tank with the massive dent in it from the wreckage. Bad times.
Just drove by there Tuesday and thought about it.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote