Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Rv Schematics

Talked and emailed several from Forestriver today. None coul or would give, mail, e-mail, or sale schematics for my 2010 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS. So sad they don't keep better records, seams they are pointing fingers at the drafting department. My model is no longer available as standard stock so I'm contribuiting this to that. Shoot now I'm sounding like them..... lol..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Hob

I hate to tell you this but, I talked to the main service supervisor when we were in Goshen, IN for the FROG rally and he told me the only place the schematics are kept are in the individuals heads that work on or wire the trailers. After 44 years working as an electronic tech for the USAF I found that a little strange but that is what it is in the RV industry. After watching the assembly line at the plant, I saw why that is such a problem. They have so many people working on the assembly line they have to be very innovative in their wiring to stay out of each other's way, it goes where it goes when they see an opening. All they seem to know is when they hook up a wire to a source they know where it should end up for final power. I know your ships weren't built like that anymore than an aircraft was. My wife was teasing me about needing a roadmap to find the bathroom when I told her how our tech orders had the schematics laid out. I'll get even with her one day.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Only an X-military could put it so plainly. As I figured. I once asked agout the RGB cabling and got no where with that issue. Well it is what it is.... Thats why we post pictures when repairing and modifying.... Have a great big one, I know I will...
Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #4

Having been involved with complex electrical, piping, structure, joiner and on and on with ships, the construction contract couldn't be let without first being approved by Regulatory bodies, class societies and many others. If you've seen any sketches from FR they are quite organized by craft, date and file organization. They have drawings of course, they are just being held proprietary and all supervisors are so directed.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Roger Ball you have the bubble...
Old 10-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
Wanna Be Camper

IMO they are just a house on wheels and you don't get schematics or wiring diagrams for a new house so I would excpect no different with a trailer.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks
IMO they are just a house on wheels and you don't get schematics or wiring diagrams for a new house so I would excpect no different with a trailer.
Ya know i've recd. Some plans frm Gulf Stream and a complete set of CAD layout diagrams, all systems from Coachmen. These were complete with material lists, paid xtra $16 after purchase. That is now a sister company. These are layout plans, not for construction. Looking for outlet source, its there, pipe vents etc.........
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
I'm not sure about yours, but my S & B house has 120V wiring, not 120V and 12V. It does not have a battery charger, inverter, solar panel, or generator. It has no transfer switches. There are no slide motors, landing gear motors, or leveling jack motors. There is no power awning.

My home fridge runs on 120V only. It does not use 12V or propane. In the RV, it is not obvious that the fridge will not run on propane or 120V if the 12V is off. There is no CO detector to mysteriously shut down the gas supply in my house.

Clearly, an RV is far more complex than an S & B house. While a schematic would help, I can usually figure out that there must be a wire from point A to point B and create my own schematic as needed. What would really help is some knowledge of how the wire is routed between those points.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl

I'm not sure about yours, but my S & B house has 120V wiring, not 120V and 12V. It does not have a battery charger, inverter, solar panel, or generator. It has no transfer switches. There are no slide motors, landing gear motors, or leveling jack motors. There is no power awning.

My home fridge runs on 120V only. It does not use 12V or propane. In the RV, it is not obvious that the fridge will not run on propane or 120V if the 12V is off. There is no CO detector to mysteriously shut down the gas supply in my house.

Clearly, an RV is far more complex than an S & B house. While a schematic would help, I can usually figure out that there must be a wire from point A to point B and create my own schematic as needed. What would really help is some knowledge of how the wire is routed between those points.

Joel
Well said GHO! but then what we do on this great forum if not helping others?