Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
JDH

Thumbs down Rwood Roo 23SS Hybred Bed Platform Rot

While winterizing I noticed that the front drop down bed platform had become spongy at the bottom and the front pressboard deck had become swollen. I also notice various staples in the area were also rusty. Talking to local FR dealer, they felt the seals on the base of the platform were leaking. 2 YR old camper in perfect shape other than rotted doors. I contacted FR in November with no response. Any other Hybred owners have this same issue? Any recalls out there?
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Site Team

this would have been better to post in the Expandable section here at FRF, since it's a hybrid-specific question and something other owners wouldn't know about.

you should have seen water in the hinge area over the two years. this happens over time and not all of a sudden.
you need to have your dealer contact Gregg Rollins at FRF as soon as possible.

did you buy the second year warranty? if so, have your dealer tell him that this clearly happened while under the two year warranty.

you have to contact the specific warranty person for that model line, not just call FRF.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
JDH

Roo Hybrid Warranty

Thanks for your advice about the expandable section on the forum. Being new I didn't look that close at the posting areas. After some internet research this AM, I was able to talk directly to a warranty person (nice guy) at FR/Rockwood who has advised me to take it to my nearest FR dealer for inspection. He will advise on possible warranty solution after dealer inspection. Hopefully all will work out OK.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Site Team

supposedly, the last couple of years of Roo/Shamrock hybrids, 2009-2010, had a better seal system.
mine is a '07 and i had a retro-fit done on my front bunk, while it was still under warranty.

FR did do some replacements, even for some out of warranty, on the front bunk. some got new seals, some got that and new hinge and some got those and a new door.

even some of the newer seals ones had issues, which i feel were quality control issues from the factory. unless you were getting canvas caught in the seals when closing up the bunk end.

but you should have found water in the hinge area, from sitting or driving it in the rain. this would have alerted you to a leakage problem way before this.

for hybrid owners, the bunk seals/hinge area need to be checked constantly. since you're new to the forum, i suggest you read as much of the expandable section and the Hybrid Forum on RV.net, to educate yourself on the unique issues with hybrids.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

For sure that you have a delamination issue that will mean replacement of the bed platforms. There is no other way to fix this except replacement and to make sure water dont infiltrate in the laminate board in the future. Water can find its way in very easily when you drive to your favorite camping during a rain storm while driving.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23ss, bed, door rot, warranty